Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Feeding question

• Thread starter x0PiggyPerson0x
  • Start date

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
I know this is for hay and bedding but I didn't know where else to put this topic so here I go.

Everyone here seems to be using a heavy ceramic type food dish to keep their pellets in. I on the other hand use a gravity bin feeder, and I was wondering if there was something wrong with this that is unsafe or not as healthy, so on and so on. When I bought it I felt it was the smartest decision because if we were away on a trip for a day or two we would not have to worry about food, plus, we have an extra large water bottle we use in those situations, plus her two smaller ones. Can someone tell me if the gravity feeders are bad and explain why?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It depends on the feeder. I had a bad experience with a Burgess hay and pellet feeder (Tuppy got stuck - it's explained in the pic in my gallery).

I think it should be fine as long as there's no way they can jump into the top.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Thanks, and the top actually has a hinged lid that swings down.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Ok, I should imagine that there would be no problem then.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I use a gravity feeder too. I like it because it's raised off the ground and the pigs don't usually manage to poop in it. When I do find poops I really wonder how they manage to get it in there (while popcorning probably).

The only problem you may have is the desire to overfeed your pigs. It is tempting to fill it all the way and forget about it for a few days. However GPs should not have unlimited pellets. Just give them their daily rations in it each day. Then if you are going to be gone for a day or two you can take advantage of the hopper and fill it so you don't have to worry about them not having enough food or soiling the food they have.

I used to give my 3 girl's their daily rations in the hopper but found that they would hardly even finish that. They prefer their hay and veggies and rarely eat their pellets. Because of this I do put more into it then I normally would (about 1 cup) but it takes them 5-6 days to finish that so at this time I don't worry about them overeating their pellets. If their intake of the pellets goes up I will cut back on how much I put in the hopper again.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
How much should I feed my one pig? I never have been exactly sure so I experiment with different amounts to see how much she eats but I'm still not totally sure.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
About 1/8 cup of pellets a day is what one GP will eat. Unless your GPs are still under 6 months, then they can get unlimited pellets.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'll have to remember that. Also, Baby is just over two years old, she turned two a month ago.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I have a feeder too! I just fill it up and it lasts a while. I think it just depends on the guinea pig. Because I don't think mine over-eats. Then again if yours eats and eats and eats then it might be a problem!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have a feeder too! I just fill it up and it lasts a while.
If your pigs are over 6 months this is a bad thing to do really. Adult cavies only need 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets per day and will get obese if they consume too many pellets.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
After the information from you guys I immediately went out to Baby's cage and emptied the feeder. I refilled it with 1/4 of a cup because at the same time I chopped up a nice celery, grape, romaine, and carrot salad so she probably won't eat her whole days portion.

I used to give my 3 girl's their daily rations in the hopper but found that they would hardly even finish that. They prefer their hay and veggies and rarely eat their pellets. Because of this I do put more into it then I normally would (about 1 cup) but it takes them 5-6 days to finish that so at this time I don't worry about them overeating their pellets. If their intake of the pellets goes up I will cut back on how much I put in the hopper again.

This especially was very helpful, so thanks a ton.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.