PDA

View Full Version : New to piggies and new here

manorexico
04-01-13, 11:09 am
We just adopted two sows that are 7 weeks old, my 5 year old named them Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. They are in a pet store cage right now, as I am working on building our C&C cage. I am disabled so it takes me a little bit, and their previous owner wanted them gone asap. So, they are in a 40x24 inch cage for the next week or so. I am reading up on how to feed them properly, and care for them. My kiddo is loving learning to hold them properly and snuggle too. They are so far excellent pets for a mature 5 year old!

YourSoJelly
04-01-13, 11:11 am
Hello and welcome! Don't worry about them being in a pet store cage for the first week or so. My girls had to be in the cage for 3 months before we found coroplast. You can kept the cage as a travel carrier or a quarantine cage! Guinea pigs make amazing pets but make sure you watch them, they can hop off your lap faster than you can say WHEEK! :D Enjoy the site!

P.S. You just HAVE to post pictures so we can see your cuties!

Gforcepiggies
04-01-13, 11:18 am
Welcome! Glad to hear you adopted some piggies and that you are enjoying having them within your company. It's very, very good you are building them a C&C, too.
What wonderful names, Princesses of the cage! How proud you kiddo must be to be the father of fine princesses! It's good you are learning,a s there is much to learn, more than you would ever expect. But it's so worth it!
Welcome once again and we'd love to see the majesties!!!!

Varcoda
04-01-13, 11:20 am
welcome to the forum! don't worry too much about rushing a C&C, they're still babies so you have good time to build them one :)

happy to hear that your daughter is learning to hold them well :)

manorexico
04-01-13, 11:30 am

The black one on my chest is Luna, there is my daughter holding Celestia. I am suuuper paranoid about them jumping, so I always make sure I am on the ground when holding them. For floor time/play time I am going into the bathroom and picking up the rugs and stuff, then letting them play. It is also a lot easier for the kiddo to play with them in there as she doesnt have to hold them or catch them, they will run up and snuggle or eat carrot right out of her fingers.
I am so glad we got babies though, it will be a lot easier to train them to be used to kids that way. I felt so bad for the little babies, their previous owner bought a female at a local pet store and it was pregnant. Poor thing :(

gymmom77
04-02-13, 07:46 am
I am so glad that I am not the only one that is new here. I am also new to this whole Guinea Pig thing. I am getting information overload. I two adopted our little girl "Thumper" from the local rescue. We are waiting to get another little girl "Flower". She has to see the vet and get better before we can take her home. Right now they are in a Midwest Cage that is 47 X 28. We have to wait to build them a bigger cage until we own a house. But rest assured they get plunty of cuddles and floow time. My Six year old is still working on holding properly and always sits ont he floor with Thumper. I was so happy to come accross your thread seeing that I was thinking that I was the only one in the world that was letting a six year old get a Guinea Pig for Easter. 46471Sierra my oldest holding Thumper while she gets a Spinach treat.

manorexico
04-02-13, 07:54 am
Yey! Hello, fellow mom! I did a ton of research about pets before we decided on a guinea pig, and I found a couple rescues. I have read that they can be excellent pets for the little ones over 5 if you handle them, and train the kiddos! The piggies were one of her Easter presents too, the Easter bunny comes and she gets presents from us. :P We also have a 2 year old little girl, she has no interest in the pigs at all when they are out but loves to watch them in their cage.
Your little ones and piggie are adorable!

MochaAndMoo
04-02-13, 07:54 am
Welcome to the wonderful world of cavies manorexico and gymmom77!
It won't be to long until those cute little piggies have you wrapped around their paws, soon you shall truly understand the term "CavySlave" :D. if you have any questions, don't be shy, always feel free to ask.

ThePigAlchemist
04-02-13, 08:06 am
Love the names! I've gotta do a pony name theme when I get girls. :P They're so cute, and Luna looks a lot like my boy Alex.

manorexico
04-02-13, 08:16 am
My girls LOOOOOVE My little pony, I happen to love it too so I encourage it. Its kinda funny because my sister, my niece, my kids, and I have MLP parties a lot. My oldest (her name is Alora) is determined that we are going to bring the piggies with us to our next pony party. Its a lot of fun we watch MLP and have a tea party.
I am going to search for Alex!
I think the piggies are American with a non-true dutch coloration but I am not sure.

ThePigAlchemist
04-02-13, 08:23 am
It's a pretty great show. I love how intelligent it manages to be while still being appropriate for kids. I'm just a 20-something who watches it for fun, but when I have kids I'll be glad to show it to them.

I submitted a pic of Alex and his brother to one of the photo contests. Other than that my picture presence isn't huge here, but there are a couple floating around. I think you're right about your pigs' coloration as well. I've always thought of my boys as Dutch colored, and their patterns are very similar to Luna's.

gymmom77
04-02-13, 08:51 am
Yey! Hello, fellow mom! I did a ton of research about pets before we decided on a guinea pig, and I found a couple rescues. I have read that they can be excellent pets for the little ones over 5 if you handle them, and train the kiddos! The piggies were one of her Easter presents too, the Easter bunny comes and she gets presents from us. :P We also have a 2 year old little girl, she has no interest in the pigs at all when they are out but loves to watch them in their cage.
Your little ones and piggie are adorable!

My youngest daughter Emily is only 4 and loves to watch Thumper in her cage and will pet her with one finger when she is in someone's lap but will not hold her at all. Yeah I had to tell my little ones that the UPS man was helping the Easter bunny and he wasn't sure which piggy at the shelter we were going to want so he gave Daddy some money to go and adopt her. It was so funny. I also had to play off the fact that the Easter bunny can't bring candy and animals at the same time due to health regulations. That has my friends and family laughing for a while. I think training the kiddos is harder than training the Guinea pig. Glad to meet another mom on the same track. Your piggies are so cute and Flower sort of looks like Celestia.46478

manorexico
04-02-13, 10:08 am
Flower does look like Celestia! She is so cute!!
I LOVE your Easter bunny story; it is so inventive! We have had to come up with stories like that in the past for Easter or Christmas. I swear being a parent you have to think on your feet 24/7.
I agree training the kids is harder! The piggies love being snuggled and sit so well on your lap, its so sweet. The kiddo wants to squeeze them, I had to show her a picture of a guinea pig skeleton on scale to show her why we cant do that. Now when holding them she says "I have to be gentle with your tiiiiny bones!"