Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Any Idea What This Could Be? *Warning Gross Description*

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Grace has been experiencing some serious problems lately. I have never seen anything like this, and the condition has been continually manifesting and changing symptoms. I know that seems odd but she is going through phases which have been leaving me wondering.
Some Info On Her:
Grace is a tri-color female guinea pig. She is about 4 years old (we don't know her exact birth-date). She lived with a senior guinea pig, Bella, until Bella passed of old age. Up until the condition started, she had been living with a younger piggie (Pumpkin). The two are now separated, and Pumpkin has been showing none of her similar symptoms. Pumpkin has lost no weight, and other than being kind of upset by her sudden separation from her best friend, she is acting like her perfectly normal self.
Symptoms:
At the beginning of the condition, Grace became rather bloated. We were suspecting bloat and scheduled an appointment with the vet. Shortly before her vet visit, she...deposited...an enormous ball of feces about 1 inch in diameter. It looked like a bunch of her normal feces pellets all mashed together into one big ball of feces. She went back to normal weight. She slowly regained her bloated form, only this time she pooped a long, thick piece of feces that was about 4 inches long. We found it curled into a spiral within her hidey hut. After that, we cut out everything extra from her daily lettuce, save her usual portions of green leaf. The condition only got worse. She went back to normal weight again after that last "unloading". She, yet again, became bloated again. This time she began expelling pellet stool again. However, it wasn't like her normal feces. Each piece had a little tip that stood off of the feces, pinched off at the ends if you will. This stool was also very soft. However, she wasn't getting better. After the long string of poop as recounted earlier, she was put on a prescription of Albon to be taken once a day for a 10 day period. Therefore, we thought that the medicine was doing some help by giving her back her relatively normally shaped stool. She will be receiving her last dosage on the second. Today, I came home from our Easter dinner to find she had created quite the mess of her cage. She had pooped a huge, sloppy mess of soft stool which she had trampled into the fleece. The underside of her belly was coated with runny feces, and it was all over her feet and the underside of her chin. I supposed she slept in the mess and I hadn't gotten there in time. We changed out her fleece, sanitizing every bit of her cage, and giving her an emergency bath until MOST of the feces was out of her coat. It was impossible to get all of it, and she was already thoroughly traumatized. We held her and dried her, trying to sooth her as she was really shaken up.
She has experienced no other issues. Her eyes, ears, and nose are free of any crust, and look perfectly normal. She has maintained healthy eating habits, and has shown no habitual/personality related disturbances other than her issues with excrement.

Does anyone have any ideas? We are clueless and our vet (our only option in my area, unfortunately), has been of little to no help. She just gave us the antibiotics and set us on our own without any direction. I am willing to answer any questions about her living conditions upon request through commenting on this thread. I figured that this was already too long of a thread to include that information.
Thanks,
ThePigSlave

GuineaPigs98

Cavy Slave
Aww poor piggy! I'm so sorry. I hope you find out what is soon, and get a cure. I have no idea what it is. Best of wishes and luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should look at https://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html.

The diarrhea-like poop may be a result of the antibiotic. I'd start giving a probiotic immediately. Bene-Bac is good if you can find it. Plain kyodophilus or acidophilus tablets will also do.

There are several exotic vets in Louisville. If you're not satisfied with your vet, that might be a good place to start.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Have you read through the diarrhea and bloat areas of guinealynx?

She needs fluids now to replace what was lost. You might syringe her a bit to keep her hydrated. Continue to monitor eating... smaller more frequent meals/drinks are preferred.

Something is clearly not right in her gut. I would do a probiotic and/or "poop soup" from your healthy pig. There are motility medications that may also be beneficial.

Has the vet run any tests? What was suspected at the first onset, and what was the treatment?

https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/motility.html

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I was just about to say what bypatters says. Get an urgent vet visit & treatment. Maybe leave off the greens for a while, make sure she's drinking & has lots of hay. Some antibiotics can cause diarrhoea. She may have a blockage or some digestive problem. Go with bypatters' recommendations asap. This is worrying, I worry with you & for poor piggy who must be feeling rotten.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
The tear drop poop makes me think she isn't getting enough hay. I had a pig like that a few years back.

I also agree that the meds probably made it worse. Bene-Bac is really easy to come by online: Small Pet Supplements: Pet Ag Energel® & Bene-Bac

What type of hay and pellets are you feeding? (hay type and pellet brand).

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Thank you. I will look into some Louisville vets because ours has been a substitute for our normal guinea pig expert. I believe that our expert went ill and had to take off. Also, how would I get my hands on a probiotic?
@cavy_jdas Yes, I have read through the whole thing and not one of the illnesses has matched up to this correctly. I will definitely syringe her with some water, but how much and how often? She appears to be drinking, though just to be sure...
@oldnewie We also read somewhere that laying off of or reducing the greens for a short time might help. We might just try that.
@CanadianComforts She is consuming all of her hay and fluids like normal. They have always gone through hay really quickly, and now has proved no different. That is why this is so puzzling, because I only have the clues from her feces and everything else is lost on me. She is being fed Oxbow pellet feed (1/8 cup per day), and Oxbow Timothy Hay (unlimited). I appreciate the link, and we will definitely try that out.
The Vet's Initial Diagnoses:
We had to get a diagnoses over phone by our guinea pig vet's assistant. Our guinea pig vet as been out ill for a while now and we have not been able to get in contact with her. The assistant wasn't sure, and was out of contact with our expert. Therefore, she decided to try a general antibiotic (the Albon). We will be visiting another guinea pig expert in Louisville soon to see if a hands on examination will prove more helpful in making a precise diagnoses.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
My first thought is some type of digestive upset, maybe an internal parasite? Then a thought occured that it could be some type of blockage, like a tumor or growth. Were xrays done?

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy no Xrays were taken, as I could not take her in to our normal guinea pig expert. We may take her for another examination by a different vet and see if we can get Xrays done.

We purchased Bene-Bac, and it is coming in through mail soon. We are currently cutting back her lettuce portions, giving her some extra fluids by syringe, and sprinkling the powder from some crushed acidophilus wafers on her pellets and her lettuce. She seems to be taking to it just fine, and we have had no problems with her not eating because of the powder. Her last dosage of medicine will be given to her tonight (sorry I got my dates wrong). Then we will start on the pro biotic when it gets in the mail.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
We just took our Roger in for similar reasons and she checked his stool. He has an over growth of yeast in his stool. Our vet suggested giving him acidophilus before we try any medication. You can pick some up at Walmart or Walgreens. We crush the tablets and sprinkle it over his veggies 2x a day. Sending healing thoughts!

Izza Izopren

Cavy Gazer
ok, i'm not an expert, but i am a little bit of a paranoid person when it comes to animals and i tend to read a lot about every condition...
Can I ask what you feed them? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you are not clueless about them, I'm just trying to help...
So, they need a very balanced diet, at any sign of something going wrong, I go for some extra vitamin c (the liquid vitamin c for babies are the best option, u get them from the human pharmacy and you give the pig 2-3 drops for a couple of days)
If the liquidy pooping continues, I would also suggest changing her water with mint tea for 1-2 days...

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
I appreciate everyone's concern and I would just like to send out my well wishes and great-fullness. I am happy to report that Grace appears to be on the mend. Her poop has returned to a solid pellet, and although it still occasionally has the "tear-drop" shape, those are slowly decreasing. She is off of the antibiotic, and she is on the probiotic now. We are monitoring her diet. She is on a slightly cut back ration of lettuce, and we are giving her plain green leaf lettuce for the moment. We will slowly begin re-introducing other variations for her diet once we are certain she is getting better. She is scheduled for an X-Ray soon, and I will definitely report those results. Our vet is back in, and therefore we will be working very close with her until the last remnants of this illness has been eliminated. She is eating her hay and drinking water as normal and we are very glad that she has been recovering.
Thanks
ThePigSlave

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the update @ThePigSlave! Rogers poos are better also, but I'm going to be taking him back to the vet for a poo check Saturday.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
The XRays are in, and not everything appears to be unicorns and sunshine :(
The first xray we took showed a large mass near her colon. At first, tumor and distended colon were considered as valid problems. A second xray was taken, and distended colon was shoved aside. There appeared to be a separate mass pushing on her colon, which would lead to those strange fecal problems she has been experiencing. The vet dismissed the tumor idea, because she felt the mass, and it was the wrong...consistency... to be a tumor. She decided that it was an infection pushing up on the colon, and prescribed another antibiotic that she felt would be more suitable. The other option would be a cyst, but we were holding out hope that it would be something easier to manage than that. The xrays were sent to a second guinea pig expert, and our vet will be getting back to us on Monday with whatever the other experts have come up with.

piggiepleaser

Cavy Slave
Please keep us posted. Praying for you and piggy!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Please keep us updated. Sending hugs your way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.