Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Floor time size?

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I was wondering what is recommended for the size for floor time for 2 sows,they are in a 2x5 but we have purged the guineakids room of some shelving units and I have more space to work with :D I would like to make their floor time area more permanent (opposed to clearing the floor after every use). Right now I have a 2x3 area that we use.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
That Can work. Normally I just put them in the kitchen floor and let them run around when I make them their salad or when I do my homework. I don't have any gates up and I have a huge kitchen. I always look up every time I hear the scratching of nails on wood.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i really don't know what's a recommended size. anything bigger than their cage maybe? if you already build a large cage then i imagine floortime is mainly for some stimulation and play to keep the piggies mentally healthy :p

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I should probably add that I can go bigger need be. They have their own room because the dog the cat and my toddler just absolutely wouldn't leave them alone when we had them in the main room and it was just becoming very stressful for all of us

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
i really don't know what's a recommended size. anything bigger than their cage maybe? if you already build a large cage then i imagine floortime is mainly for some stimulation and play to keep the piggies mentally healthy :p
Yes I notice they get bored when they're in the normal enclosure (I hate the word cage) all the time

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
perhaps you could turn most of the room into a piggy enclosure, and rotate toys and the layout frequently? or upgrade your enclosure to 3X5 and expand it to the rest of the space for floortime :)

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
perhaps you could turn most of the room into a piggy enclosure, and rotate toys and the layout frequently? or upgrade your enclosure to 3X5 and expand it to the rest of the space for floortime :)
This is what I'm considering as the is getting warmer (have draft problems) tried a 3x5 once it was awful I'm rather short and clumsy. I've had about a thousand enclosure changes and found this works image.jpg with a step stool and a door that flips down for cleaning

so maybe a 2x4 for floor time?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Floor time space is usually larger than the cage. Have you seen this gallery?
(broken link removed)

You can probably do something like this. Have a ramp down from the main cage.
(broken link removed)

lissie

Cavy Slave
If my pigs have their own room, I'd build them a cage like this.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
Oh wow thank u @lissie I've never looked at that particular gallery because the idea never occurred to me to have a free range-ish set up

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.