Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C So What's Better?

Irish

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
After much much begging, I finally convinced my fiancee about investing in a C&C cage for my guinea pigs. So we already know what we want and most likely we will order one already made. The question we are having is what's better? A C&C cage with a loft or one without and instead install a piggy patio? I already did the calculations on what's cheaper and even tho my fiancee prefers cheaper, I honestly don't care about price since this will be their home that they will be in for the next 8 years. So does any one have any advice on this and what would be better for my babies? Thank you in advance!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
My younger ones love the loft, running up and down the ramp and jumping half way. It depends on if you have older pigs as well, ive read that the older ones will no longer want to go on top.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that if you refuse to reconsider breeding your guinea pigs you will need more then one cage. Dad can't be with mom when she gives birth or she will end up back breed. Also if there are any boys they will need to live with dad. Even if you get males fixed you CAN NOT have multiple males with one female. Getting them fixed doesn't really have any impact on their behavior and they WILL fight over the female.

You will most likely need two cages. So with that in mind you may want to reconsider the cheaper options. Maybe even build them yourself as it is much cheaper then buying one from the store.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Just saw your post about getting your male fixed. Sadly (in my opinion, though I realize you disagree) the female is likely already pregnant. Guinea pigs can get pregnant starting at 4 weeks old. So even if the male is fixed now the chances of babies and you needing two cages is still very high.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
it's much cheaper to buy the parts from walmart or something and build your own if you wish to save money. personally i feel the pre-made C&Cs are quite expensive, especially if you're going to need more than one cage :)

i read that some piggies don't like using the second floor, but i didn't have a problem with mine. perhaps its because the second floor is quite low (23cm high). you could buy the basic pre-made cage and buy the grids from walmart in future if you wish to expand or build a loft. with cube grids it's very easy to build and add on :)

Irish

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
it's much cheaper to buy the parts from walmart or something and build your own if you wish to save money. personally i feel the pre-made C&Cs are quite expensive, especially if you're going to need more than one cage :)

i read that some piggies don't like using the second floor, but i didn't have a problem with mine. perhaps its because the second floor is quite low (23cm high). you could buy the basic pre-made cage and buy the grids from walmart in future if you wish to expand or build a loft. with cube grids it's very easy to build and add on :)
Thank you! I might build it myself and make it awesome! My male is getting neutered monday and my female got checked and wasn't pregnant so they'll be staying in the same cage for sure once I build them a C&C cage!

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
You do realize that until about 5 or 6 weeks it's pretty much impossible for anyone, even a vet, to say a pig isn't pregnant right? Did you do an ultra sound? Because I'm pretty sure you said they were only about 2 months old. Which means the female is at most 4 weeks pregnant. Unless you did an ultra sound it's too early to feel the babies and I'm pretty sure too early to see them on an x-ray.

And I do hope you realize that the male has to be kept away from the female for at least 3 or 4 weeks after he is fixed. The sperm has to die before he can be put with her again.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
good luck on your cage! take extra care to have clean bedding after your male is neutered :)
and the other advice people give XD people only have the piggies' best interests at heart!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There would be no way to tell if the sow is pregnant this early.
And it takes weeks after the male get's neutered for his semen to die out, so you will need to separate them.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Honestly I think custom is better. It's cheaper, they aren't hard to put together, and you can do whatever you want. The only thing I order now is coroplast when I need it (I hate cutting coroplast, I've cut and scored three panels and they take FOREVER for me to get perfect).

Also, I am getting one of my males neutered soon. You will have to keep him separate from your female post neuter for about 3-4 weeks to be absolutely sure he won't impregnate a female again and it's recommended you keep him completely separate from any other piggies while he heals to help prevent infection and keep him limited from movement that might cause opening/tearing of the incisions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.