Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Not enough space!

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
Over the past summer I got my guinea pig, Thumper. He is a 3 year old male cavy, who is quite silly. For a long time I have been planning on building him a C&C cage, but it hasn't worked out. For one thing, I don't have the money to buy coroplast. Also, I have very limited space. He has to live in my room, and I don't have much space. He already has an ok sized cage, and he gets plenty of floor time. But some days I don't really have the time or space to let him roam, and he can't have a free run while I am away because of my dog. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to improve his current cage?

adelore

Cavy Slave
If you posted a picture of his current cage, maybe we could help come up with some ideas. It's hard to help be creative, if we don't know what we are working with. I'll help come up with some ideas, once I know what I'm working with. If nothing else we can all give you ideas and maybe if you put a few of them together, (or maybe some of our ideas will help you think of something maybe we didn't.) I have no doubt you'll come up with something that will work for you.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Can you get a lofted bed? We got one for my daughter from IKEA for just $100 and it freed up so much space. She was able to put her desk and a large chair under her bed.
We don't keep animals in the kid's rooms but I thought it would be great for those that did so they would have more room.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I don't have the money to buy coroplast.

You can use shower curtain instead of coroplast.

Many people on here have found coroplast for $10. Check this warehouse to see if there's a location near you.
(broken link removed)

As for the space, can you rearrange your room?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
20130321_171328.jpg20130319_162616.jpg these are made out of plastic table mats. they are fairly sturdy but require that you have the cage on a solid base of course. it was a cheap alternative to coroplast when making a second level /litter box for my piggies :)

but as mentioned, shower curtains work great too, just that you have to be careful your piggies dont eat it since its so soft.

space-wise, the lofted bed is a great idea :D

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
Wll, my daddoesn't want me to get a lofted be becuse it would block the window. I will have to post pigtures later though.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
if you're using cube grids you could build it so that the lower level of the cage becomes a shelf that can hold all your piggy supplies and possibly more. not only will you have more storage space but your piggies are at a more accessible height too :)

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
Have you thought about the Midwest Guinea Pig Habbitat?

It is the only good store bought cage

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
Storage is not an issue, I have shelves in my closet suitable for storage. I have a nice sized cage already, but I want to upgrade it. I am not intrested in buying a new store bought cage. I want to add onto my current one. How can I add to my current cage?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
you could build a second level...
i suggested the storage space so you could get rid of some other small storage system in your room (like small drawers for example) to increase the floor size for your piggy cage. :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
OH! Great idea Varcoda!!! Table mats can be found at almost any store too!

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
The table mat idea sounds great :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
:D thanks! its hard for me to find coroplast here, so... desperation is the mother of inventions haha.

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
I have a couple of questions.
1.) What are tale mats?
2.) ow could I add another level on top of my current cage?
3.) How would I cut the table mats?
4.) How much do the mats cost, and how sturdy are they?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
1) table mats are... table mats. they're hard-ish sheets of plastic you usually use at the dinner table to prevent the table from getting dirty

2) if you're using cube grids, you can check out the photo section for multi-level cages. it involves zip/cable-ties and some use a long metal or wood rod for extra support

3) the same way as coroplast. you 'score' them, meaning you drag a penknife or scissor to leave a cut but NOT cut through the plastic. just enough to fold it in shape :)

4) over here the mats cost a dollar and up per sheet, but its norway.. nothing is cheap. :( they're frequently found at thrift stores or supermarkets i believe :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
Without seeing your cage, no one can offer ideas of how to expand it. If it's smaller than the acceptable minimum standard, adding another level isn't the answer.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
It's be a great idea getting some pictures of your room and the set up you have.

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
I will try to take some soon, but it might take a little bit. Also, I cannot move anything from where it currently is, because my dad said I couldn't.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Did you explain that you'd be arranging your room to accommodate an appropriately sized cage for your pig(s)? And why your pig(s) need an appropriately sized cage?

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
Yes. I explained it all to him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.