Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Which fungal shampoo will be the best choice?

Amy262

Cavy Slave
I have spent a bit of time reading on GuineaLynx about fungus and medications and I'm not sure what to do. Just a bit of history...when I first got Cinnamon, she had a flaky ear. I took her to the vet, and the vet checked for fungus, but it came back negative. He said that the cultures can be negative sometimes, and to go ahead and treat her with antifungal. He gave me Micozole Lotion 1% (miconozole nitrate) to use on her ear. It completely cleared up her ear. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago...Cinnamon's right rear foot was swollen and she was limping (I started a separate thread on it). Negative for fracture, and vet prescribed antibiotic for swelling in case it was infected. That night I noticed that it was flaky as well. Called the vet the next day and got an ok to use the micozole lotion on it. The swelling has gone away and the flakiness is almost completely gone. Now, her right front foot looks flaky. I don't want to continue to spot treat. I called the vet and asked about using Malaseb shampoo on it, and the vet recommended Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo instead. Of the two below, which should I get? I'm not going to get it at the vet because they charge 2-3 times the amount.

The one the vet recommended isn't mentioned anywhere on GuineaLynx.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Anyone have a recommendation? I'm hoping to order it tonight so that I can use the shampoo on all of the piggies ASAP.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Chlorhexidine is just a general antifungal agent. I would think either would work. I'd probably do the Malaseb myself, 50,000 GL'ers can't be wrong!

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Chlorhexidine is just a general antifungal agent. I would think either would work. I'd probably do the Malaseb myself, 50,000 GL'ers can't be wrong!

Haha!! That's what I was thinking, too, but wanted to make sure! I'm going to get it ordered this morning and get this under control. I don't want to keep treating one spot at a time on Cinnamon. I'm thankful that neither of the other girls have shown any sign of it, but I'm going to give them baths anyway.

One more question...how many times per week do they need to be bathed with this and for how many weeks? I will do a search and see if I can find that info anywhere, also...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.