Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs again after 35 years

Sagebrush Mom

Cavy Slave
First I want to extend a big thank you to everyone who has shared cage, fleece, feeding info on this site. I have spent the last several months updating my piggie knowledge (my last guinea pigs lived in a kids swimming pool in the basement in the early 1970's so I had a lot to learn). For anyone who has not used it the search function on this site can be used to find a wealth of information and the galleries are a great souce for cage building inspiration.

Anyway, on to the piggies. I finally finished my 2 level 2 X4 C&C and brought the piggies home last night. I had a hard time finding pigs to adopt where I live (intermountain west USA) and had resigned myself to a 3 1/2 hour drive to the nearest city with adoptable pigs when these ladies popped up on craigslist (in 3 months of searching there have only been 5 craigslist postings for pigs within a 2 hour drive and they have all been placed almost immediately). Our 2 ladies were former research pigs (nothing invasive) that had been placed with a family after the research trial was over. After several months the family decided pigs were not for them (I think if they had learned about fleece and C&C cages the outcome may have been different after talking with them -they are certainly going to relay the information I gave them to the other family that adopted pigs from the University).

My two new ladies are 7 months old and had been living in 2 storage containers connected by a short piece of pipe. They had free choice pellets but limited amounts of timothy hay and only celery and carrots for veggies. The previous owners reported that they did not like apples so other foods had been tried. This diet had no doubt contributed to Chubby's obesity (she even has a fat roll under her chin that almost drags the ground). Chubby is reportedly the bossier of the two and had kept Squeaky from the most choice foods (probably why Squeaky is a better weight). After sharing some feeding information with the previous owners for them to relay to the other adopters we were on our way home.

Chubby and Squeaky had been living with 5 children so my two boys were nothing new to them and they are very friendly and gentle with the kids. It's funny to watch them zoom around their cage or in their playpen for floor time, although no popcorning yet - I don't think they are sure what to do with all the space. Green leaf lettuce was popular for breakfast this morning and they even nibbled on their green pepper slices. I'm going to introduce new veggies slowly so I don't upset their systems - unlimited timothy hay and restricted pellets is already a big change for them.

P1000480.jpgP1000487.jpgP1000491.jpgP1000478.jpg

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
those are some lucky piggies :) i had to chuckle abit when i read about chubby's chubby chin!

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wow, amazing job on the cage!! those are sure some lucky piggies to have found a home with you! they are adorable too...looks like you gave in to them getting the box?? LOL

Skippie

Cavy Slave
Well congrats! I am so happy to hear you adopted these two! Im also mighty happy to hear that the other pigs were being adopted quickly as well...I just home they went to loving homes and not being used for snake food or anything terrible like that. Anyways, I love that you are stepping up to take great care of these pigs! They are so cute..and shiny! Even though the previous owner said they didn't like certain veggies, I would give those a try anyways, in time. Sometimes they change their minds and a switch in the environment could make a difference. I'm sure you will see some weight loss as well with your new chubby baby. :) It's hard to tell for sure by your top picture but I just wanted to make sure that you have coroplast walls that are high enough so those pigs can't fall out when you are cleaning. I also encourage any new owner to find a couple of exotic vets now, before you need them. They can be hard to come by so its good to be prepared. Also, I'm just curious..why not any pigs for 35 years? It sounds like you are going to be a great mama to these two. Glad to have you here!

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Awesome! It looks like those piggie shave an amazing home and will be very happy. I can see Chubby's chin in the box picture! lol

Sagebrush Mom

Cavy Slave
LOL, the picture of them looking at the box was taken after I had removed it from the playpen so I could get some pics - they wanted it back RIGHT NOW. I had forgotten how precious piggies were - I have dogs, a cat, horses, goats and a cow with her calf but nothing lap size and indoors (the dogs are all 70 to 80 lbs so they don't fit on my lap) and my husband is allergic to the cat so she lives in her heated kitty condo in the garage - when she's not out catching mice in the haystack.

I am still laughing about ordering 45 lbs of timothy hay from Kleen Mama's when I have 2 1/2 tons left in they hay yard for the livestock. Unfortunately, I only had alfalfa/grass mix so I had to order some timothy. For the time being I have a small bag of timothy from the pet store.

Sagebrush Mom

Cavy Slave
No pigs for 35 years because I had other critters and activities to keep me occupied and I didn't want guinea pigs when my kids were really little because they would have wanted to play with them without understanding how not to hurt them. Coroplast walls are only 3" in front, but they will be in piggy playpen for cage cleaning anyway. Cage is completely enclosed so they are safe from the dogs (dog are outside during floor time). I am a veterinarian, although I don't do much with exotics (mostly cows, horses, dogs and cats) and I picked up a good exotic text at the last conference I attended. I have a good friend who is also a vet that does work on exotics if I have any problems - she doesn't see many guinea pigs but she does see some. Next closest exotic vet is 3 1/2 hours away.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I have to say that it makes me so happy to read about owners like you! Well informed and only taking on the responsibility of a pet when they can!

Your cage is gorgeous and so are your new girls! Congrats and very warm welcome wheeks from my pigpen to yours!

Sagebrush Mom

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I have always committed to giving my critters forever homes (I just lost my first horse at the ripe old age of 37 - he had been my friend and companion for 30 years and 12 days). Sadly enough, it was his passing that enabled the pigs to come into our lives. Now that I don't have to make gruel (most of his teeth were gone by the time he turned 30) for him twice a day(and spend $200 a month on pelleted horse feeds suitable for making gruel) I had extra time and resouces for another pet.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
What a wonderful (cavies) and bittersweet story (your horse). So nice that you can pick up a text and understand exactly what is going on. Your animals are well taken care of!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
i know the feeling on adoption, I live here in San Francisco in CA and had to drive 2 hours to get my Chocolate moose, Caleb. But it was well worth it. Hope to see more pictures soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.