PDA

View Full Version : Cage Location/noise factor

MLT2007
03-15-13, 03:06 am
So this may be a strange question but can a house be TOO quiet for guinea pigs? I live alone and I am super quiet. I work midnights and sleep during the day so for 16 hours the pigs experience complete silence (other than what noise the cats make) and during the time that I am awake I make very little noise. Should I be a bit louder so they get used to human "stuff"? I am also concerned about the location of their cage. I read on here that they should be in an active area of the house but I keep them in the spare bedroom because I want to be able to shut the door to keep the cats out when I am work. The cats and pigs get along but when I am not home I want the peace of mind that there is no way the pigs could get harmed. Is it okay to keep them in the spare bedroom or could it hinder their happiness?

Amalee
03-15-13, 03:47 am
I'm by myself most of the day and my house is inactive. Only sounds they really hear are my dogs randomly barking. As long as you take them out of the cage often and give them attention when you can, they will be fine. You can always try putting on some quiet music. They mostly thrive from the attention and companionship of other guinea pigs. :)

However, if you are that rarely in the spare bedroom, consider putting a laptop in there, eating or some other activity you could do in there!

MochaAndMoo
03-15-13, 03:51 am
To be honest, my pigs love it when it is silent.
They are much more active and happier. But yes, it is better if they are in a high traffic area, but I wouldn't risk that if there are cats. Maybe you could sit in the spare bed room for a while each day while you are doing something. If they are getting lap time and human interaction each day, they should be fine.

MLT2007
03-15-13, 03:52 am
My computer is in there, so that's definitely time I get with the piggies. I eat sitting next to their cage to get additional time :)

KaileighRussell
03-15-13, 06:15 am
My girls are right in my bedroom - but for the most part, unless I'm feeding or in there cleaning I'm pretty quiet in there. My girls are a bit more on the shy/reserved side so me just lying in bed and reading with music on for stretches of time has done wonders for them. I had them in a high traffic area of the house and I found that they tended to stress out having strangers nearby.

I think it really depends on the individual piggies - you'll definitely be able to tell if something is wrong - but they are prey animals so quiet, safe environments definitely help bring them out of their shells :)

MLT2007
03-15-13, 07:36 am
Thanks all! That's good to know that being in a very quiet separate area won't upset them, as long as I visit often (which I do). I only want what's best for my babies!

adelore
03-19-13, 11:16 pm
I believe piggies adjust to the enviroment they live it. Such as your home is on the quiet side. They know your routine, their home "noise" and routines. Therefore this makes a low stress level for them.

My girls C & C cage is in active, part of our home. They are in my din. room. This is just off our living room which has a double open doorway, then on the other side of them is the Kitchen. So the traffic from their human room mates is busy, not to mention my two grandsons play with their cars in the din room daily. My girls however love the "activeness" in our home. They love the attention and will weak happy and popcorn while the kids play with their cars. When they see us go towards the kitchen they will run to the side of the cage, stand up on their back feet, front feet on the grids and will weak with joy, asking for a treat from the Ref. When someone walks in the back door, which is a small room off the din room another way, they will weak with happiness race around, and start popcorning because we are home, or we have company. When our dogs bark, the girls run to the side of the cage to see what the dogs are barking at.

I believe an active home or a quiet home can both be great for piggies, it's all a matter of what they are use to and they feel safe. Both type homes are good, the most important thing being the love and the attention they get from us. That is what makes a happy piggie. I belive your piggies are very happy in their home. If you see them popcorn, run around their cage, make happy noise, then you have happy piggies. It's all a matter of what they are use to. Piggies adjust very well to our routines.

SimbaDC650
03-20-13, 12:34 am
pigs are in the comp room with me, so im there mostly 10 hours with them daily.

MLT2007
03-20-13, 07:38 pm
adelore I hope you're right that piggies adjust to their environment. Right now I am feeling extra super guilty about not being home much because of overtime at work. I feel like a bad pet owner to both my cats and piggies because they are home alone alot right now. I work in healthcare and it's not like we can just leave positions unattended at the hospital. The overtime will be on going for a while but when it's over I will be home alot. The good thing is that my piggies are gettine more comfortable with me. They wheek so much more than when I first got them and it just melts my heart to see them so happy. Penelope is even getting to the point where she will let me touch her without completely freaking out. The best I can do right now is to spend as much time as I can with them when I am home, but I must admit the guilt is overwhelming. Unfortunately, my hands are tied :(

adelore
03-23-13, 09:50 pm
@adelore (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=26516) I hope you're right that piggies adjust to their environment. Right now I am feeling extra super guilty about not being home much because of overtime at work. I feel like a bad pet owner to both my cats and piggies because they are home alone alot right now. I work in healthcare and it's not like we can just leave positions unattended at the hospital. The overtime will be on going for a while but when it's over I will be home alot. The good thing is that my piggies are gettine more comfortable with me. They wheek so much more than when I first got them and it just melts my heart to see them so happy. Penelope is even getting to the point where she will let me touch her without completely freaking out. The best I can do right now is to spend as much time as I can with them when I am home, but I must admit the guilt is overwhelming. Unfortunately, my hands are tied :(

You are seeing the realionship between you and your piggies still develope....that says a lot! So keep in mind the time you are spending with them right now, must be great Quaility time, or you wouldn't be seeing the Trust building. The other thing to please keep in mind is this, your piggies have each other, so they are not totally alone. They do have company with each other. Your time at work is also giving them a good time to build their bond.

Your cats also have each other, so it's not like your leaving them without "someone". You cats and guinea pigs have a warm and loving home. They know you love them, that is worth tons to them.

I think you feeling guilty is the biggest problem. Please don't feel guilty! Becasue you are working (and I do understand.) your little ones at home, have everything they need. Not to mention you are helping people at the hospital who need you too. If you think your home is too quiet, then by all means leave a radio on, or the T.V. I leave the T.V on for my dogs and piggies while I'm gone. My piggies can see the TV from my din. room, the dogs will sit on the couch and watch TV even when we are home. Right now you have a lot of overtime....this will not hurt your guinea pigs or your cats. They will be ok and I can promise you will not love you less for it. Years ago I worked as a CNA in a nursing home, for about 2 months I pulled doubles. I was at work 16 hrs a day, I had guinea pigs back then. Sure it took a longer bit of time for the Trust to be built, but even during then each day it got better. Don't worry, our little fur balls are great at adjusting....now if we can only convience us humans of that....:)