PDA

View Full Version : Stand C&C Stand - 2 grids high, too high?

MesaMynx
03-14-13, 05:21 pm
Basically, that is the question. Has anyone done a 2 grid high ( 28" tall) stand for a 2x5 C&C? I need the height and dont want to go to the trouble of putting a plywood sheet on a table. Will a full C&C base 2 grids tall be stable, since the completed thing will be 3 grids tall . This is for a 72" long cage.

Thoughts appreciated!

BrowniesMemory
03-14-13, 05:33 pm
I'd be concerned about it holding up, but it may if you used both the connectors and zipties. My cages are on a stand that's around 30" tall but it's homemade...kinda. Though I have seen some pictures, on here, of cages on stands that are two grids high that you might could look at.

CavyMama
03-14-13, 05:34 pm
Seems like if the stand alone is 2 grids high, it might be difficult to get to the pigs, to feed, to clean, etc. Also, I think at that height, the stability might come into question.

Amy262
03-14-13, 05:45 pm
My cage has a base of grids, and then three stories for the piggies on top of that. I used the connectors and zip ties. You are just going to want to make sure you have a bottom, top, and side for every cube for support. Because our cage is four floors total (if you include the bottom floor which is for storage), it makes the top floor very high. I have to use a step stool to clean it. Lol

Iklepink
03-14-13, 05:53 pm
I
Mine is only a 2x4 on top but with the cubby shelves each 1x1 with an extra grid to have 2 supporting grids on the left, middle and right but it is nice and sturdy. There are connectors on every corner possible and 2 zip ties on each grid. The structure itself will sway but when you have 2 big pigs doing zoomies and forgetting to turn corners thats to be expected.

MesaMynx
03-14-13, 06:13 pm
Iklepink - that is awesome! lol.. Love your set up!

Thanks all for the quick replies. I will make sure the stand is very secure and zip tied. At one time I had a large folding table from Walmart that was 30" x 60" and on top was a cut sheet of plywood to hold the cage on top. It was smelly wood. Very strong odor and I covered it with a nice blanket. The cage was secure on top of it, but what a "structure" . I eventually pitched the wood and changed their habitat set up. At this point I want to go back to a large 2x5 or 6. The floor is too drafty for them, so I need them up higher off the ground and 1 grid high isnt high enough.

I'll post pics in a couple weeks when everything comes in. I cant find coroplast in my rural area, so I am ordering from guineapigcages directly. Tomorrow I am going to target to get the base grids, since those aren't used by the pigs directly. I think I might buy some fleece flippers for them too. Something different, worth a shot!
thanks all! More input always appreciated! xo

juliannimal
03-14-13, 06:33 pm
I think it would be ok if you had enough zip ties and supports. Our cage is on a fairly tall table, taller than a card table for sure and taller than two grids. I can clean it just fine; it's not too high. I like having them up higher because I don't have to break my back to clean the cage, feed them, pet them, etc.

MesaMynx
03-14-13, 06:57 pm
I think it would be ok if you had enough zip ties and supports. Our cage is on a fairly tall table, taller than a card table for sure and taller than two grids. I can clean it just fine; it's not too high. I like having them up higher because I don't have to break my back to clean the cage, feed them, pet them, etc.

Pefect! hey - I'm in New Mexico, too! Out in the East Mountains south of Santa Fe :-) Nice to meet you! :)

juliannimal
03-16-13, 06:15 pm
Nice! I haven't noticed anyone else on here from NM yet! I'm on the east side of Albuquerque, the heights area :)

PrincessAngel
03-16-13, 06:43 pm
I ran into this same problem a few years ago. 1 grid high was not enough and 2 grids was too high (keeping in mind that me fully grown only stands 4'10"). So I literally made a stand in the middle. My stand is wooden and is 21in high. I went with a custom wooden stand because I was tired of grids failing to do what I wanted. So it is possible to do a full c&c stand but it is a pain in the butt. I much prefer my wooden stand and it looks cleaner and neater. I have a 2x5 and a lofty thing on the wooden stand no problem.

cheesypuffpea
04-06-13, 11:51 am
One of my friends built a cage stand like the Ikea Expedit : basically a cube! They were two cubes high and she built two of those cubes so one on each side of the cage. It was pretty stable, but her cage was just a 2x4 coroplast one, no grids. I'd say it was pretty secure. If you have grids it'd might be different. Hope I helped!