PDA

View Full Version : Coroplast Coroplast question

Danichuck
03-12-13, 03:22 pm
I bought colorplast and cut and made it per the directions and added it to the cage. I think it's so bad. I am now having problems with the pigs pooping and peeing on everything including their veggies. Before I added it I noticed they were using their litter box a lot but now that I added the colorplast they are not using the litter box and I am cleaning poop and pee from all the corners it smells like a poopy baby diaper. I even put felt fabric over the sides which they pull down and pee and poop all over the colorplast. I need help with what to do to make this stuff less easy for them to pull the felt down, it's not really to get it to lay right with putting it over the sides especially in the corners of the cage. I am getting discouraged with the pigs and its getting harder to clean in the mornings. I really guess I need advice on how to get them to use the litter box again too. They were so good at it before but now they stopped and are peeing and pooping everywhere. I need it to be easy to clean and ideas on how to get them to use the box again.

Rach84
03-12-13, 03:27 pm
What bedding do you use? Fleece or wood shavings etc? Xx

Danichuck
03-12-13, 03:44 pm
Fleece and care fresh in the litter box. When I first did the colorplast I had no fleece in it but quickly added it back in as I had to clean the cage 3 times in the 1 day so the fleece went back in.

MonicaG
03-12-13, 03:46 pm
Maybe you could post some pictures for us to help?

Also, get a larger thing of fleece, and use clothes pins (the wooden ones) to hold down the fleece. that's what I use. The piggies may just need some time to get used to their new environment. don't get discouraged!

Danichuck
03-12-13, 03:57 pm
44598Here is the picture of the cage under the fleece is the colorplast

Danichuck
03-12-13, 03:58 pm
It's basically the same set up I just put the colorplast instead of the tiles so they stopped flinging stray poop out the sides. The litter box use to be full of pee and poop daily but now they don't use it at all.

pinky
03-12-13, 04:40 pm
What do you have as your absorbent layer between the fleece and coroplast? How many guinea pigs are in your cage and what are the dimensions?

Danichuck
03-12-13, 04:57 pm
I have nothing between the felt and the colorplast. At first I wanted the colorplast for easy clean up and just have a fleece bed for them so it would be a sweep and go type of cage but I found that didn't work how I was hoping as they peed and pooped all over the cage and it all smeared everywhere so I added the fleece back. I have 2 pigs. Like I said before it was fine when they used their litter box but all of a sudden I added the colorplast instead of the tiles under the fleece and all of a sudden they stopped using the litter box.

Danichuck
03-12-13, 05:01 pm
Maybe you could post some pictures for us to help?

Also, get a larger thing of fleece, and use clothes pins (the wooden ones) to hold down the fleece. that's what I use. The piggies may just need some time to get used to their new environment. don't get discouraged!
Thank you I will have to try the clothes pins I hope it helps them from pulling down the fleece. I was originally hoping that I could use the colorplast as the floor and have fleece beds in the cage but the pee and poop mixed together and smelled so bad. That's when I added the fleece over the floor again but they just pull it down and hide under it and pee and poop under it. I just don't understand why they stopped using the litter box with such a small change.

Rach84
03-12-13, 05:11 pm
Try adding more hides to discourage them from going under the fleece - pigs love to have their hidey places to dash into xx

pinky
03-12-13, 05:19 pm
When you use fleece, you need an absorbent layer under it. That's probably why it smells.

Danichuck
03-12-13, 05:22 pm
Ok I will try that I have another house thing to put in there. Also what are you all using for keeping the veggies off the floor? I think it would be better to have the veggies off the floor of the cage so maybe they will poop on it less. I just added the hay rack I use to use in my bunnies cage over the litter box to encourage them to eat the hay and be in the litter box at the same time.

Danichuck
03-12-13, 05:37 pm
No I was saying it smelled when the poop mixed with the pee and the clean up smelled that was when I didn't use the fleece. I at first didn't think I needed the fleece if I had the colorplast but I found out the hard way that I was wrong. I need something easy to clean up each morning and before bed. I wanted it like my bunny cages where I just sweep and add the new stuff. I need easy cleaning ideas for these guys so they are as easy as the bunnies are. Please help with easy clean up ideas especially for the floor.

aurikan
03-12-13, 05:53 pm
the fleece basically whisks the fluids down to the lower layers to make for a dry top layer.. but if the urine has nowhere to go to, ..well.. i can imagine that the cage would get really foul very quickly. i recommend putting some absorbent layers under your fleece. the cheapest options would be uhaul furniture pads or some towels. i'd personally HIGHLY recommend the uhaul furniture pads. they're available for $8 at uhaul stores. my cages are both 2x6 (around 7ft in length) and when i make new bedding sets, i can usually cut out two layers worth of it from just one of the furniture pads (i use 1 layer of fleece and 2 layers of the uhaul pads for my sets). they're highly absorbant, cheap, and i usually don't notice any odor from my cage until the last day or so of the week.

aurikan
03-12-13, 06:05 pm
as for cleanup ideas, i personally use a handheld vacuum. i use the black & decker chv1510 (15.6v) in particular (btw, when i use it, i actually attach the nozzle part on backwards - otherwise the suction is too powerful and will start grabbing on to my fleece), but i'm sure there are alternatives that get the job done just the same. like i was saying a moment ago, i have two 7ft cages (one having a small 1x2 loft). i'm done with poop sweeping within a couple/few minutes for both cages. the part that takes more time is vacuuming all the stray pieces of hay (because sometimes you have to go over it a few times to get everything looking spotless). it literally takes me 3-4 seconds to open up, dump all the waste and old hay in the trash, and re-close again for future use. anyways, a handheld vacuum is one of the best investments i've made with the piglets, lol. i can't imagine taking the time to manually sweep or pick things up by hand (i have 3 boars - they're all poop machines)!

MonicaG
03-13-13, 09:22 am
I think youre doing all you can at the moment. just let them get used to their new surroundings, and then try to make them use the litter box again, but what you have going on now with the hay over the litter box seems fine. mine always poop in their igloos and move them around because they want more space to poop! (two boars) I don't even bother with a litter box. every Friday I shake out the fleece and throw it in the washer. I don't really mind the smell all too much, it's not too powerful.
youre cage looks great by the way. I love the fleece forest!

pawner69
03-13-13, 09:45 am
I totally agree with auirkan! You really MUST have something to soak up the pee when using fleece, be it bedding or something absorbant like a Uhaul pad or towels. I personally use 2 layers Uhaul blankets. The whole purpose of the fleece is to wick the wet down through it but if there is nothing to soak it up, it will just sit there and get gross on you very fast. :yuck:

I am still learning with my fleece. I used to use shavings for bedding but learned I had a dust allergy. Currently I have 1 disposable bed pad (bought at walmart for like $5 for 20 of them), then 2 layers of uhaul blanket, and then the fleece. I sweep poops a few times a day but I also work from home to its very easy to keep up with. Then I change everything out once a week and my cage never smells. I have a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft for 2 piggies and it stays dry and clean. My cage is kept in my main living area so smell is NOT an option as I am kind of a neat freak. :crazy: I just use a little dust pan and broom that I picked up at the dollar store. However, I do plan on getting a small shop vac.

Good luck and let us all know if we can help! This is such a wonderful site with such helpful people...you will figure out what works best for you. :)

KaileighRussell
03-13-13, 10:03 am
What do you have as your absorbent layer between the fleece and coroplast? How many guinea pigs are in your cage and what are the dimensions?

Puppy pee pads (XL ones) and a handheld vacuum for the poops are a must and a Godsend! I vacuum the cage out daily and the pee pads are awesome with the smell!

Definitely definitely recommend!

Also, try a kitchen area near the hay with carefresh. I've noticed my girls concentrate their peeing and pooping into one corner!

MrWhistles
03-13-13, 10:27 am
You need an absorbent layer under the fleece. I use U-haul pads, others use towels, puppy pads(can get expensive).

My girls have 1 large hay bin that they pee in 100% and poo in 95%. I didn't aim to have them potty trained, I was just giving them some hay to dig around in. I refresh the hay in the bin every morning. If you're using the litter pan in the picture, maybe use left over coroplast(if you have some) and make a hay bin like I did. Sometimes you don't wanna share the bathroom with your sister ;)
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s369/SpikeyFishy/Piggys/20130206_180532_zps701eedd0.jpg

Danichuck
03-13-13, 12:12 pm
I did put a towel down till I can afford the uhaul pads. It seems to be better. I now need to keep them from tearing down the fleece from the sides and crawling under it to hide. I put another house in there for hiding but they still want to pull down the fleece and hide under it. I did look at some pictures of everyone's cages and did see some use binder clips or clothes pins so I plan on gearing some of that but right now I am sick so I have not been venturing out to shop. As soon as I feel better I will get some. So you guys only change the fleece once a week? How often should I change the towel or when I get them the uhaul pads? I was washing fleece every other day cause I thought I had to change it very often.

Danichuck
03-13-13, 12:17 pm
Can someone who uses the uhaul pads post a picture of what they look like?

MrsSuzy
03-13-13, 12:23 pm
Like MrWhistles I have a large hay bin for my girls and they tend to use it a lot. After a while, I learned their favourite pee spots and added extra absorbent underneath, like a puppy pad.

MrWhistles
03-13-13, 01:02 pm
Can someone who uses the uhaul pads post a picture of what they look like?

On this thread, the very 1st picture shows how thick they are/what they look like
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/fleece/58123-review-uhaul-blanket.html

aurikan
03-13-13, 01:21 pm
with the fleece followed by 2 layers of the uhaul furniture pad, i vacuum at least once a day and i do piggy laundry about once a week. if your cage is in your bedroom, you might want to clean it around day 5-6. i'm sure there are a lot of factors as to how often you'll want to clean it (ie how many pigs you have, the cage size, how messy your pigs are - mine party hard at night, etc). btw, the uhual furniture pads are $8 and their dimensions are 68" x 85" (so i'm sure you'll be able to get quite a bit of use out of just one). when you look for them in the store, there are furniture pads that they offer to rent and there should be a pile that are for sale. i'd recommend washing the pad a couple of times before use because, like the fleece, it'll do just a little bit of shrinking. oh! and one other note: the uhaul pads will shed quite a bit the first couple of washes, but after that, it's smooth sailing.

MonicaG
03-13-13, 04:42 pm
my cage is pretty big, it's about 7x3 so they have lots of space to poop, they are not walking around in it all week. On off weeks I will take a dustpan and scoop the poops to the side and scoop them up into a trash can.

since your cage is smaller either using a small dust pan and brush to sweep up most of the poops will work(cheaper :P). Or a handheld vacuum. How often you sweep depends on how dirty the cage gets. I don't use u-haul pads, I actually just put towels down today, figured I would give the boys more cushion on their feetsies. I figure I will just wash everything together on cleaning day (once a week)

pinky
03-14-13, 04:10 am
I use uhaul padding as my absorbent layer and I either sweep or shake out my fleece. I have two fleece pads in my cages so I can shake out one side while my guinea pigs move over to the other side. The side of my cage with their hay bin gets messier so I have to launder that half more often. Some of my cages need laundering sooner than others. It depends on the pigs. I have one cage that is always tidy so that one needs a lot less work than the other two.

Danichuck
03-20-13, 05:57 pm
So the uhaul pads are washable that's good to know. Thank you everyone for your responses. This is a great site also very informational.