Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Unexpected pups on the way

Liliputty

Cavy Slave
Hello all.
New to the site and guinea pigs. This year Santa brought my 10 year old twins a guinea pig. 2 mothers later we decided to get her a companion. Both were purchased from Petsmart so even after all I've read it still didn't quite click when the gentleman helping us commented on how big her belly was. Of course we all love them both so bringing her back is not an option. However we will not be able to accommodate 4-6 guinea pigs. Where to turn? Vets? Craigslist? Rescue? Our area doesn't seem to have a primary rescue place. Also any tips on delivery would be great. The girls have met and spent some play time together but we thought it best to keep them quarantined until after the birth. Any advice for delivery and post care for surviving pups is much welcomed.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
it would help if you told us which state you lived in,and hopefully someone will know of one there :)

if your pregnant guinea pig is over 8months old it is going to be a potentially fatal pregnancy, something about their bones fusing that prevents them from giving birth properly.

Edited by bpatters: Guinea pigs bones do NOT fuse. The pelvic ligaments stiffen so that the pelvic bones don't separate as much as they do when pigs are younger.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where do you live? (city/state, not address) We'll see if we can help find something to do with them.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html for info on labor. You'll have to make sure the pups can't escape through the spaces between the wires and the cage. Since she's probably very young herself, line up a good exotic vet in case she has a large pup she can't deliver herself. Feed her and the pups a good quality alfalfa pellet (KMS Hayloft alfalfa or Oxbow Cavy Performance) and high calcium veggies. They need a good long strand grass hay (timothy, meadow, orchard, blue, brome) all the time, and if you look around, you'll be able to find it much cheaper than the small bags in the pet stores.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Liliputty

Cavy Slave
We live in Clovis, CA. I do have a vet we visited after we realized she is pregnant. I've researched quite a lot on line and have numerous books. I'm not entirely sure of her age as we did get her from Petsmart so I'm assuming she is no older than 8 months. I have read about the pelvic bone and understand the danger. Other than keeping a close eye on her and keeping her healthy it's all on her now. She has put on 6oz in three and half weeks and we can feel and see the babies moving around. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.