Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New with New Piggies

SweetSunflower

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Two week ago I adopted two boars from Magic Happens Rabbit Rescue in Baton Rouge. They're name are Cinnamon (Cinna) and Cocoa and areadorable!
I've owned rabbits for years, but never owned a pig. I've been trying to learn as much as possible. I think I've read guinalynx's entire website. Any advice is completely appreciated.

I currently have them in a homemade C&C cage. While I feel they are safe there, it is lacking in space. I am planing to purchase one from the store. Right now I'm thinking about the large cages, but not sure about the options. I don't know if I should get a second story, patio, or just have a kitchen area in a single level.
If you have second stories, are the pigs willing to go up there to eat/drink, etc?
If you own a patio, do the pigs try to jump out? It appears to be very close to the cage top.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Cocoa - I think he's an Abyssinian
IMG_0470.jpg

Cinna - a Teddy
IMG_0451.jpg

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i dont think they can jump out the standard cube height, but if you have something they can climb on on the patio... you have to be careful!

since you already have a c&c cage, why not just buy additional cubes to add on and expand it instead? it would be cheaper :) as for whether they'd use a second storey.. you have to teach them by putting them there and luring them with food. i have read that some piggies just don't want to use the second floor, but maybe their owners didn't try teaching them.

nice to know you adopted your piggies, they're adorable :D

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your piggies are adorable!!

I was going to buy a cage from the store here but was too impatient and decided to make it myself so that I wouldn't have to wait for it to ship, lol

We haven't added our loft yet but I'm going to soon. We currently have a kitchen on the main (and only) floor but it does take up quite a bit of space. Once we have the loft built I'd like to move the kitchen up there.
I think typically if the food is upstairs the pigs will get used to it simply because they are the hungriest creatures in the universe! lol

SweetSunflower

Cavy Slave
since you already have a c&c cage, why not just buy additional cubes to add on and expand it instead?
nice to know you adopted your piggies, they're adorable :D

Thanks! The only chloroplast I could find was small, and the only cubes I could find were the large ones from target. So I ended up lining all the cubes with chloro so they wouldn't be dangerous. I have lots of smaller pieces hot glued together. It's quite unsightly, and would honestly be a royal pain to expand.:)

I honestly believe the piggies, are safe and they seem happy. This cage, though small, is much larger than the last one. I just want to do better for them.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Love the names!! Our girls' names are Cocoa, Marshmallow, and Cinnamon!! :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
ahh :) good luck with your new cage, hope it will be what you want!

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I never had much luck getting mine to eat on the second level, so it mostly became just for sleeping. Right now, mine just have a single level cage. I like it a little better because it feels a little more roomy, but that's just me.

Congrats on the adoption! Cocoa is a cutie!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.