Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! I plan to get 2 guinea pigs and need advice

Kathie

Cavy Slave
I hope to get 2 baby guinea pigs. I have a C&C cage but was wondering if I should start them in a smaller cage until they get more used to me.

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Glad you already have a C&C cage, You can have them in the C&C cage, just let them be for a few days to get used to the surroundings. To get them use to you, use the food trick, holding romaine or other veggies and let them come to you, If they don't take the treat with you and try again later.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
You wouldn't want them in a smaller cage, because they wont be as happier and a small cage could cause dominance issues with the piggies.

Just sit by the cage (or in the cage right after you clean it) with veggies. Feed them the veggies when they come wandering over, pet them, talk to them, and then eventually hold them and cuddle them. How long this takes, will depend on the pigs. I was able to hold and interact with mine on the first day. But I know others who have had to wait months.

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
No need for a smaller cage. Just try to let them settle in and don't expect them to be overly friendly for a while.
Veggies are an easy way to win any piggy over :)

WillowFields

Cavy Slave
If you plan to be getting baby guinea pigs, it may need to be baby-proofed!

Kathie

Cavy Slave
what do i need to do to baby proof it? What should I be looking for that could cause a problem or be dangerous? Thanks!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
To babyproof, you can either make the coroplast sides higher or piggyback another layer of grids onto the grid walls so the holes are smaller.

Kathie

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I will do that.

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
We just put poster boards all along the sides of our grids. It was super easy and poster board is only 30 cents a sheet at Walmart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.