Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing to you, my second Piggie!

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
P1100164.jpg

I just adopted a 6-month old American Short Hair off Kijiji. It was a rather sad case; the first time I feel like I have actually rescued someone. He came from owners who had no idea how to properly care for Cavia Porcellus. They had him in a cage that would make a gerbil feel claustraphobic. He had no veggies, no dome/pigloo. I got him home, and almost right away put him into a bigger cage. That old, Alcatrazian cell was thrown out immediately. It looked like it went back a few decades; the wires were all rusty, and the bottom was all cracked. They had his food in a small yogurt container. I don't think I have seen such a case before with my own eyes. It was very sad, and it made me so angry. There is no exuse for this kind of ignorance. Not with the amount of information that is out there these days.

Anyway, that's it for my rant. He's been here a little over 12 hours now, and seems to be settling in well, considering. He was chutting around in his cage off and on all day. I went out and bought him a proper food dish, and a dome. He's been hiding in the dome ever since. I can't say I blame the poor guy. Here's the stuff we bought.

P1100168.jpgP1100167.jpg

I've decided to call him Colian, and in going with the three-name-theme, which I started with Oliver, his full name is Colian Phoenix Cavington. Phoenix as in the bird that rises from the ashes, and Colian is a name my friend created. I think he has a very interesting colour, as it is totally different on each side. His right side is black and white, and his left is light brown and black. It's like two different piggies in one!

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have the same hay rack/pellet holder and Tobias loves it. Where did you get that dome though? I love the look of it, and have seen other pictures of them, but can't find them in my area.

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
I got the dome at Petsmart; I haven't seen them anywhere else either. Oliver loves the hay rack. Colian can use it too, once he gets to know Oliver.

P1100175.jpg

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
He's very cute and glad you gave him a new,good home!

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
What a pretty boy! Glad he's had the opportunity to enjoy such a transformation!

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I think he's still settling in. I've been going over to the cage, but he always hides. I've been able to hand feed a little bit through the bars of the cage, and then again inside the cage. I get the feeling he is just terrified. He has nothing familiar to him except his water bottle and his pellets, which is in the process of changing. I've started changing him to that good Oxbow stuff. He seems to like it so far. He's eaten the veggies I've been giving him. I think I just need to give him time, and leave him be for the most part. I can only sit so close to the cage, and he hides. Poor thing! I keep talking to him softly and calmly. That's all I can really do at this point I think.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
He's so cute! I look forward to know how he gets on and to see more pictures.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
he will warm up, especially after quarantine is over and he can be with oliver :) After he sees how well you and oliver are bonded he we want that too :)

Force pigs

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know where to get the ball that you stuff with hay online? Is that a rabbit toy? Holes look too big for birds.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
aww, what a sweetheart :) Good luck with him.

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
He seems to be getting a little better each time I go near the cage. Last night, I had to go into the room to get something. As usual, I was very quiet, calm, talking in a low voice so as not to startle him. He stared at me for a minute or so. I made some jokes to him, expressing a calm, positive energy. He didn't hide, but continued watching me under a careful eye. He's silly. I snuck over to the cage, slowly, and he hid behind the dome. I continued chatting with him for a few minutes, then I said, "I suppose that's enough for now. See you later, eh?" Oh yes, and he sniffed my finger between the cage bars, very tentatively. He doesn't run anymore when we go by the door of the room he is in. I haven't been able to give him veggies by hand yet. He will only take them when they are dropped in the cage. I can't hel but wonder, does he associate handfeeding with being grabbed? If he has that notion, we will definately be disabusing him of that! Poor little guy.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
What do you mean rags to riches
did you get him from a shelter?

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
What do you mean rags to riches
did you get him from a shelter?

I got him off my local Kijiji from a private owner who didn't know Cavia Porcellus from a pet rock. He'd been neglected at very least in his old home; tiny cage, no dome, no hay, and he wasn't given veggies. I've since put him in a much larger cage, and given him a dome, a proper food dish, etc. I'm suprised they thought to give him a water bottle to be perfectly honest. His name is Colian by the way. He was called Spots by his previous owners, but I wanted to give him a dignified sounding, original name.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
It's wonderful you were able to turn his life around like this! Once he's settled in, he'll forget all about his old life. You've done a good thing with Colian!

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
ow poor guy
good thing hes in a good home now

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.