Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings How many bags of shavings for a 2x5 Cage?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
So next week I am going out of town and could use a little bit of math/experience help. I'm going to be out of town for a week and leaving my pigs in the care of my mother who understandably won't change or sweep fleece so, shavings are my option.

It's been at least 3ish years since I've used shavings in an entire cage, and back then it was only a 2x3 or 2x4 cage. I currently have a 2x5 main cage with a mismatch shaped upper cage that is about a 2x4.5 (as far as sqft).

So bottom cage is 13.6 sqft and top is 13sqft. I have no idea how much bedding I actually need to buy. Based on my math I would need 2 bags of the 2 cubic ft sized bags which expand to 4 cubic ft. But I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure what kind of combination I should do. I was thinking either the pine shaving with pine pellets or aspen with pine pellets or all 3. The pine pellets would be bottom layer for absorption, aspen as either top or middle layer for pee and the pine would be a soft layer. I may forgo pine for carefresh (or similar) if it is cheap enough. I just want to make sure my bedding won't cause any respiratory distress, especially because of of my girls is really sensitive to dusty things.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I don't even know where all my used bedding will be going, it is a huge amount to add to a compost bin. Before I even buy bedding I must add solid sides to my cage to hold it in :( , that's one benefit of fleece, I don't need coroplast sides!

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could buy a big bag of carefesh? and have a back up little bag if you run out, I would say the big bag of shavings at wal-mart but, I am not sure that's piggy-safe.(And i don't mean the cedar bedding, you probably know this, i was just making sure you didn't think i meant the cedar!)

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
A big bag of carefresh won't even make a dent in my cage. I was looking into some more beddings though. I'm thinking this as a bottom layer in high pee spots : (broken link removed)

And probably this for the top layer : (broken link removed)

And probably will get some carefresh to put in sleeping spots. My only concern is the aspen is pretty big hard chips and my oldest pig has sensitive feet. I don't want to pay a whole lot of money for carefresh though. Pine is my next option as it is usually small super soft flakes : (broken link removed)

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
Wow! I think, since your oldest has sensitive feet you should go with the pine bedding, or paper cat litter in the high-traffic pee spots, and pine for the rest of the cage. And if you have any small fleece cut outs, you can put them in a few places in the cage for them to lay on. Just a thought :)

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
My dad just approved carefresh over pine and aspen (he is buying the stuff). So it shall now be paper/pine pellets and carefresh. I still don't know how much carefresh to buy. And yes! My piggies always get fleece scraps to cuddle with! That won't change!

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
I haven't bought carefresh in awhile ( i use shredding paper now) So maybe if you bought 1 or 2 bags of carefresh and paper/pine bedding, i think it could fill your whole cage. little off topic- but its cute when they cuddle with fleece stuff!

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
This still doesn't really answer the question of "how much?" but, how many pigs do you have? Is your cage bigger than it has to be? Maybe you can temporarily make the cage smaller with grids or something so you don't have to use as much bedding.

Like ours is a 2x5, but we only have 2 pigs so technically it could be a 2x4...

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs in the bottom 2x5 and 1 pig in the top cage. If I make it any smaller I'm afraid the cage will smell faster, with fleece I have to change it every 4 days to prevent it from smelling. No one will be letting the pigs out for floortime so I'd like to optimize their running room in the cage. I'm not so much worried about the cost as I am the amount I actually need. I'll probably start by buying three 60L bags and if we need to I'll run back to the store before I leave and get more (Carefresh is onsale for $14 and some change at petco).

adelore

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 with a 1x4 top floor. I buy a very large bag at Tractor Supply for about 9.00, it last me all month. I change my cage out once a week, with a kitchen area that I clean ever couple of days.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
In case anyone was curious: I ended up buying a 60L bag of off brand carefresh, 10lb of pine pellets and a 2cu ft bag of aspen shavings. To fill both my 2x5ish cages I only used half of each bedding type.

I don't know what to do with all the left over bedding once I get home. Because I HATE using loose bedding. I only used it because I'm out of town for the week and no one would clean fleece. I don't know where to put all the used bedding either... My compost piles are overflowing with hay and leaves as it is.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Is there a rescue nearby? Maybe you can donate it.

Thanks for sharing the info. Good to know. Would like to know how well it worked when you're back home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.