Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

storing hay

jeza921

Cavy Slave
Currently, I buy bags of Kaytee Timothy hay from the petstore. I live in a smallish apartment (think college apartment that's falling apart). My dad, who lives in another state, is a equine vet. (Not to be confused with my stepdad, who is a small animal vet.) His office has bales and bales of hay. I used to climb all over it and in it when I was a kid. So, if I drove down to KY and loaded a bale into my car, could I keep it in, say, a gabage bin with a lid? Has anyone had trouble storing hay? I'm assuming that hay is hay, weither it's for a guinea pig or a horse. Any idea how long a bale would last me, and if it would keep that long?

Hay, if stored correctly, can stay fresh for absolutely ages! I jus finished a bale a couple of weeks back and it lasted me 10 months. I use meadow hay, which I picked up from a horse feed store. So, the horses eat this hay too. You could keep it in a rubbish bin, but I would reconmmend taking the lid off for ventilation. Hmm....come to think of it, maybe the hay won't get enough air from being in a trash can? I store mine in a cardboard box, and I have cut little squares all over. Make sure you don't break the bale - try to keep it in tact as much as possible. Keep it in a dry and ventilated area and not in plastic (my bale came in this plastic bag, take it out of that).

The best way to keep hay fresh, like Piglet said, is to keep it well ventilated. Just make sure it stays dry and try to find a more open way to store it and it should be fine.

Will it make my apartment smell strongly of hay? I like the smell, but I don't want it to be overpowering.

Only the area the hay is kept in will smell strongly i.e. if the hay is kept in the bedroom, part of the bedroom will smell of hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.