PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Is his tooth broken?

AllThesePiggies
03-05-13, 12:30 pm
It was a snow day today, so I have more time to spend with my piggies. I took Honey out for lap time and got him some lettuce to eat. I noticed while he was eating that he was chewing kind of funny. I tried to check out his teeth, but he wouldn't let me get a good look. I did notice however that one tooth kind of protrudes slightly, and it felt weird. I was thinking maybe he broke his tooth? And if he did, is he going to be okay? I'm not sure what to do. :weepy:

ellisa
03-05-13, 12:32 pm
Have a look over this thread, it should give you some helpful information:
http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

AllThesePiggies
03-05-13, 12:36 pm
Thank you! That definitely helped. I'm gonna see if I can get a better look at his tooth, and make sure he can still eat and drink.

MizzyMiz
03-05-13, 12:37 pm
If it was sticking out slightly, it might be malocclusion, which would cause the weird chewing too. I had a pig recently get malocclusion and she gnawed down her tooth back to normal before I could take her to the vet. But I wouldn't wait for that to happen. You should try again to get a good look, but either way if the tooth is over grown or broken, you should take him to the vet. The biggest problem is if he stops eating or loses weight, so keep an eye on him. But try to get a good look, obviously don't be aggressive but don't be afraid to hold hold him down firmly.

AllThesePiggies
03-05-13, 12:43 pm
Okay, thank you so much! Hopefully he'll let me see what's wrong.

CanadianComforts
03-05-13, 12:47 pm
If it is just a broken front tooth, most cases it just grows back on its own.

I would take a good look at it and if there is no blood, swelling, bruising or bad smell (would be a sign of infection) and if its only a front tooth, call your vet and see if they want him to come in, probably not, but you never know.

MizzyMiz
03-05-13, 12:47 pm
And don't worry to much :) it's really not that big of a deal, I've had quite a few pigs break their teeth and they eventually grow back just fine.

AllThesePiggies
03-05-13, 12:57 pm
Well, I got a better look at his tooth and it doesn't seem to be broken. His left, front, top tooth pokes out farther than the other one. Is that a malocclusion? There isn't any blood/swelling/etc., it just seems to make it harder for him to chew. Should I call the vet?

MizzyMiz
03-05-13, 01:15 pm
If it's not infected, and not to much longer then the other one, he might just gnaw it down on his own. I would make sure you give him some kind of toy or piece of wood to chew on, and keep an eye on how he's eating. If you have a scale I would watch the weight too. If one of these things change you should call the vet, but if not he should be fine. :)

Skippie
03-05-13, 01:57 pm
If hes having a harder time chewing, I would give the vet a call.

AllThesePiggies
03-05-13, 02:09 pm
Alright, thank you guys so much! Honey is my first ever guinea pig, and I've never had any problems before... so I'm just really nervous. Thanks again. :)

CanadianComforts
03-05-13, 02:25 pm
Make sure there is hay, guinea pigs rarely chew on wood to wear down teeth. I'd call your vet and see what they say. They may want to file it down to be safe.

AllThesePiggies
03-05-13, 03:18 pm
Just cleaned their cage and gave them some fresh hay. Honey doesn't seem to have trouble eating his normal pellet food or his hay. :) And alright, thank you!