Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

3 new piggies

kathstraw

Cavy Slave
Hi, we adopted 3 sisters yesterday ( about 8 months old ) from an animal rescue centre. At the moment they are still hiding from us, we go to them often and offer treats and talk to them but up until now havent tried to hold them. My children 14 and 16 are eager to hold them but im worried its to soon although they were well handled at rescue centre. Should i stand firm and leave them for a few days or try to hold them, possibly using the " elevator" method to reduce stress.....any advice for newbies really appreciated

bree1818

Cavy Slave
I'd leave them alone for a few days. Let them get used to their surroundings. Just sit outside the cage and talk to them, offer them treats for a few days. When they start getting used to having you around, then I'd try to pick them up in a cuddle cup or sleep sack or something - give them a place to hide if they're scared.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
hoorah for adoption :)

they should be left alone for at least two days, but the talking and treat offering is a great thing to do.

just keep in mind that when you DO start trying to pick them up, they most likely will run like hell is upon them... hehehe. the cuddle cup /sleep sack idea is what i do, it will also ensure your teens don't hurt them when carrying :) don't forget to have a towel on your lap in case they pee!

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
@kathstraw I just watched a video on the Avalon adoption. Did you rescue them from there?

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
@kathstraw They have quite a few! Avalon had a whole shed full, I am sad to say that I think they aren't being cared for properly. I am going to start a new thread about it with a link to the youtube video.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.