Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Woody Pet??

E

emsmith1072

Woody Pet??

Has anyone had any experience with this bedding, or heard about someone who has? Thanks for any responses, Emily.

T

Tishia071001

Woody pet

I am a current user of woody pet. I saw the bag at my local feed mill and decided to give it a try.I have just learned recently that pine and cedar chips are not good for your little piggy, so I have been using woody pet for about 4 months now. Although it takes more to cover the bottom of the cage, I rather use woody pet over anything. I sometimes think that the pellets are too hard for her little feet but she seems to be doing fine. It is a lot easier to clean up and absorbs oder great! I put a newspaper on the bottom of the cage before i put the Woody Pet down...it makes it even easier to clean up! It's a bit more expensive then pine or cedar chips...I pay $5.30 for 40lb bag and I pay anywhere from $5.00 to $6.00 for cedar or pine.If anyone has any further questions... feel free to ask.Hope this helps everyone!

Attachments

13115484_237259276641139_901397830_n.jpg 13162091_236438213389912_1847135944_n.jpg
B

BabyBrella

Re: Woody pet

We use woody pet at the Humane society for our cat litter pans. Its heavy but works great for cats. It does disentegrate into sawdust clumps like stuff when it gets wet.

I think it would be fine for gp's but I personally wouldn't want to haul the bags around.

If you can find it locally to try it you might like it. If you have to have it shipped, it's really heavy and would be expensive. (we have to have it barged up here but we go through a lot every month!)

We used to use wood stove pellets for the cats (no acclerate added of course). I can't say I have noticed a difference in the two, I will have to look closer to see if they perform differently.

Amy G.
in Alaska

Attachments

kip close-up (July 8 2015).jpg May 2015 (20) snuggles.jpg

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Woody pet

I would NOT let them walk around on Woody Pet. You've got to cover it with some other bedding. That's my opinion on comfort and walkability.

Those bags are killer heavy. If you have any issues with back problems, forget it.

G

Glory Be 2

Woody pet

I have used Woody pet for my horses for about 1/2 a year. A couple of weeks ago we got 2 pigs. (I made a cube cage and which I'm very excited about.) I decided to try the Woody pet for the guinea pigs bedding. I am thrilled. After covering the bottom of the cage with the Woody pet pellets, I sprinkled water all over it with a sprinkling can. The water breaks up the pellets into a must softer bedding. (I have found that the bedding works better in the horse stalls if it is sprinkled also.) I waited about 15 minutes for the Woody pet to absorb the water before I put the pigs in the cage. We use a deep frying tool to sift through the bedding and remove the poop every day and then stir the bedding. I haven't changed the bedding at all. There is no smell. I'm hoping that I won't have to change the bedding for a month or more!!!This will make the Woody pet extremely economical!!!

W

websurfer1968

Re: Woody Pet?? Where do I find it?

At what stores have you found this? I would like to buy it at a brick and mortar place rather than to have it shipped. Please email me at [email protected].

Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.