Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Small poops and air bubbles?

vhc83

Cavy Slave
Please help.
My son's pig has been very quiet since yesterday, he sits in one place in the cage, doesn't move about, unless we get him out of his cage alone. He will then freely move about. His cage mate is something of a dominant character, so I thought maybe he was being bullied.
I've cleaned their cage out today and noticed some very small poops, about the size of the ones my mum's 3 month old guinea pigs do; around 7-8mm-ish. Normally his poops are much bigger than that, they're also very thin. He did one which had something attached to it, it looks like mucous, I got a tissue and inspected it. I squeezed the bubble looking thing and it popped! Like bubble wrap, complete with sound.
He seems to be eating and drinking, but he is smaller than his cage mate so I think maybe he doesn't get his fair share of food?
Should I try separating them? He's had some lettuce with veg oil on (I read this on this forum, I think) because it says it's good for constipation. I have checked and he doesn't seem to be impacted.
I don't know what to do!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heavens! No vegetable oil -- you didn't read that on this forum, or if you did, it was posted by someone who didn't know what they were talking about. Constipation isn't usually a problem with guinea pigs unless they've been on pain medication, and it's surely not the first thing I'd think about with the symptoms you described.

First, does his stomach feel tight, or sound hollow if you thump on it gently? If so, he probably has bloat, and that's a medical emergency requiring a visit with an exotic vet as soon as you can get there. You can read (broken link removed) for tips on what to do until you can get him to a vet.

If those aren't his symptoms, I'd separate him for a little while, either into one end of the cage, or into a laundry basket or other confined area, and put him on a light-colored towel or piece of fleece. Feed him hay and pellets, and make sure he has water. Watch to see if he's pooping, and what the poops look like. If he is eating and pooping, then leave him there for a few hours and see if the poops improve. No veggies.

But, you should know that a pig sitting still either doesn't feel well, or is in pain. They're often hunched up, or fluffed up, if they're in pain. If that's the case, he also needs a vet quickly.

Are you weighing him regularly? A failure to thrive, or a loss of weight, is often the first sign that a pig is ill. You should be weighing both your pigs at least weekly, and daily if you think something is wrong. If you think he isn't getting enough to eat, take him out of the cage a couple of times a day and give him some extra food.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Right, I would make a vet appointment. The mucus and small poops signify a gastrointestinal problem. I wouldn't necessarily separate them totally--can you use grids to divide the cage so they can still be near each other and see each other? And then you could monitor his food intake and poops. Has he lost weight?

vhc83

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I did read it on here about the veg oil, I just found it again
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/8705-constipated-piggy.html

He's not lost any weight. He doesn't sound hollow, or have a tight tummy. It wasn't mucus, but resembled it until I inspected it further, that's when I discovered it was a bubble (of air, I presume) I'll get an appointment with the vet as soon as I can

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.