Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Gineau Pig Owner Here - Hello!

Wendy2

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello, I've been reading about here for a week or so and decided to register. My apartment costs too big of a monthly fee to have a cat or dog, and I always wanted a gineau pig, so I got one a few weeks ago. Now, granted, I probably should have come here and read up about gineau pigs before I bought one. But growing up, I always had friends who had them and for some reason I thought it would be an easy pet to have without too much maintenance, etc. I bought my little Twinkie at 6 months old (so the pet store said) and got the biggest cage they had, which I have since learned is not nearly big enough. Since I have had him I have been reading every website I can about gineaus and the care of them. Boy have I learned a lot I didn't know. Last week I bought a cage (about 7 feet long) for my boy from this website. I also read that gineaus do not like to be alone, and I do work all day 5 days a week. So last Saturday I got him a buddy, named Buddy-Roo. I watched them carefully and so far so good, no real fighting (A bit of rumbling, and Twinkie rumble strutting now and then). They seem to love the big cage and I've even seen popcorning (so cute).

Anyway, please forgive me for my prior ignorance in buying one without truly knowing what I should and should not do. Thing is, I have them now, love them, and truly want to care for them the best I can. From what I can see and have read, this place is a great place for me to get advice to help me do just that. :) So hello, and will be probably posting a lot of misc. questions!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! That's great you got him a friend and the new cage sounds like it will be great. We got our first pig by surprise (she was thrown out) and I remember how stunned I was at the requirements to keep the little guys happy. It's so worth it though.

You should post pigtures when you get a chance :)

Wendy2

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'd like to post pics, and even have a pic under my name here like everyone), but not sure how to do this. I did manage to put one in my photo album, I think. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I can't believe you found a piggie "thrown out"? How so? Just curious!

southernfury

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum sweety! Sounds like you got two happy little piggies..:) There are some great advise and people on this forum. I have learned a lot sense i joined. Cause i was just like you..learning more as i go. I really hope you enjoy this forum. Again, welcome sweety !!!

Wendy2

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum sweety! Sounds like you got two happy little piggies..:) There are some great advise and people on this forum. I have learned a lot sense i joined. Cause i was just like you..learning more as i go. I really hope you enjoy this forum. Again, welcome sweety !!!

Wendy2

Cavy Slave
Thank you Southernfury for making me feel welcome. :)

Kim1203

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! this is a great place to get advice and also get a very quick response. Seems like you have two very happy boys!! :)

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Thanks! I'd like to post pics, and even have a pic under my name here like everyone), but not sure how to do this. I did manage to put one in my photo album, I think. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I can't believe you found a piggie "thrown out"? How so? Just curious!

My boss was out for a morning run and a guy ran out of his car and dumped a bunch of 10-day-old pups in the woods. My boss was able to save Jumble, and jogged home with her. He couldn't keep her so we took her. One of our other piggies was found in an herb garden at 3 months old. We have 3 other rescues too.

It's surprising (or maybe not) how many people "release" guinea pigs into the "wild" thinking they somehow will magically survive, or they just don't care. Or people put them alive in plastic bags or dumpsters like garbage. I know people on and off this forum who have found piggies in dumpsters and trash bags.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy And what's worse is that many of these people who discard animals like this are teaching their children that it is okay to do so, thus keeping the cycle going. I was fortunate enough to have turned things around from what I saw when I was a child. My father used to do that with our pets and it broke my heart. I eventually stopped getting pets because I would rather be without than have to watch what my dad would do to them. As an adult come Hell or high water I will take care of my pets until the natural end of their lives and I will give them the best life possible!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.