Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Bacterial species?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone knew what bacterial species causes URI in guinea pigs. I work in a hospital laboratory and shudder to think what kind of critters I bring home on myself on a daily basis. I wash my hands after work, before I touch any of my animals but I can't help but wonder if I am putting my babies at risk. I am hoping whatever bacterium it is that causes URI is cavy specific and perhaps I won't even find it at my job. I read so many horror stories of pigs going downhill very very quickly from these infections.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You are at risk as much from the bacteria as any other animal would be so I'd just suggest using whatever hand washing/ laundering recommendations you're given at your job.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto Pinky. If you're wearing a lab coat or changing your clothes before you come home, and washing your hands well, the pigs should be fine.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
You are at risk as much from the bacteria as any other animal would be so I'd just suggest using whatever hand washing/ laundering recommendations you're given at your job.

Unfortunately, I already know the dangers of this....I ended up with MRSA several months ago. I nearly lost my hand because of it. I am not positive it came from my job because MRSA is everywhere but I do make sure I change my clothes and wash my hands as soon as I walk in the door. I guess I am just paranoid from reading how terrible the URI can be for the guineas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.