Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage without base

JackSByrne

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

Got a month (ish) old male pig with my girlfriend recently. Did all the wrong things (bought from a pet store, small cage [for a small apartment, admittedly] only bought one, partly due to landlord) but I'm trying to get things right! I've researched and found the C&C option, and convinced our landlord to let us have another pig, which we'll adopt. I've picked up plenty of cage sections, as I found a good deal online, but it'll be a little while until I can get the Correx for the base. We currently keep him in the Kitchen/Living Room, as it's where we spend pretty much all of our time, laminate flooring. I'd quite like to get Winston into a bigger cage as soon as possible, as I just feel bad having him in the small cage still. Until I get the base, can I just layer newspaper, towels and fleece directly on the floor, then put the cage over? Or will I need something that will hold steady on the floor?

I don't mind cleaning up the floor once I get the Correx should anything get through all the layers. Should be easy with a laminate flooring.

Cheers,

JSB

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use the newspaper the ink could stain floor if I'm correct,I know it stains coroplast. Another option would a shower current.

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
This isn't mine but I thought it'd help explain

(broken link removed)

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
We used extra laminate floor (glued to plywood so it is sturdier) as our base. It works great. But you will want to lay towels down (with fleece on top), or whatever it is you are planning on doing for bedding. Or you can use a shower curtain until you can get your coro.

JackSByrne

Cavy Slave
Could I feasibly get away without a base for one day? Go with towels then fleece, just have to accept that there'll be a little cleanup. There's a plastic merchant in Leeds that'll have Correx, should hopefully be able to pick some up in the morning, if not I'll grab a shower curtainIt would be nice to get him out of the rubbish Ferplast one!

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I went w/o a base for my cage for an extended period of time. Some people dont use a base at all.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Well I was just saying that since I used laminate floor as my base, i don't see y u shouldn't be able just to set it on ur laminate floor for now.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can put the grids directly on the floor, and mop the floor once a week when you change out the fleece and towels. I don't recommend newspaper either. I had bad experience of newspaper staining my coroplast.

Since your pig is only one month(ish), you will need to double up the grids so he can't get through, or get stuck in the grid bars.

This is what you can do.
(broken link removed)

JackSByrne

Cavy Slave
My apologies, I've had him longer that I thought (where has the time gone!) He's nearly 2 months at this point. About how old/big should he be before I can get away with just the one panel per section? They're 9x9, if that helps.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
They need to have baby proofing till about 4-6 months (when they can no longer get their head in one of the squares. I used poster board (cut in half lengthwise) for my baby proofing and it worked fabulous. Here is a pic of it. (The Correx is black and the poster board is black but you can see where the correx stops and poster board stops if you look hard enough) untitled.jpg You can see it covered most of the grid which is the goal. Good luck!

JackSByrne

Cavy Slave
So, I'm guessing you'd recommend 6" high for the Correx, then close to the top of the cage for the poster board/whatever? How high could a pig climb?

On a related note, I saw some advice about making a large hideaway by draping a towel over the top, pegged to the cage panels. If you were to look side on, it would be not unlike this: |/| (squished a little due to font, obviously). My only worry is that he might climb up and get out. Is this likely? I imagine that his weight on the towel would probably pull it out of the pegs, but I'd rather check first. Worst case, I can just put a panel in above it.

Cheers for the help so far!

megziepoo

Cavy Slave
I have a 3x3 C&C and what I have for my cage is a large piece of cardboard, covered with just a dollar store shower curtain and then fleece over top, for now it works awesome for me, Until Im able to get coroplast and everything I need to make a more proper base.

megziepoo

Cavy Slave
btw good for you for realizing your mistakes after doing research and doing everything you can to supply a good and healthy home for your piggie, soon to be piggies :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
So, I'm guessing you'd recommend 6" high for the Correx, then close to the top of the cage for the poster board/whatever? How high could a pig climb?

On a related note, I saw some advice about making a large hideaway by draping a towel over the top, pegged to the cage panels. If you were to look side on, it would be not unlike this: |/| (squished a little due to font, obviously). My only worry is that he might climb up and get out. Is this likely? I imagine that his weight on the towel would probably pull it out of the pegs, but I'd rather check first. Worst case, I can just put a panel in above it.

Cheers for the help so far!

Some young pigs can climb pretty high. I've had a pig climbed on top of the towel tent. If you're worried they could climb out, a fleece forest might work better for you, since they're fleece strips that hang vertically.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/hot-tips/59489-cage-fleece-forest.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/hot-tips/67935-easy-fleece-forest.html

JackSByrne

Cavy Slave
I've put a couple of panels over it for now, which should prevent any escapes, short of some pretty impressive acrobatics, but I might just have to try the forest, as it looks adorable

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.