Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Is this ok for my boys?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I've had my boys for almost a month now and I think their first bath time should be looming - just want to check the shampoo I have is ok before I use it . . .

Attachments

image.jpg

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Do they have mites, lice, or fleas? I would (if it were me) get another shampoo that is just regular. You can use kitten safe shampoo or small animal shampoo, or in a pinch a little oatmeal dog shampoo would be ok, but of course kitten safe or small animal safe would be best :)

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen any but I thought it be ok to give them a treatment to be sure? Xx

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, no insecticidal shampoos. They're very harsh on the skin. That shampoo won't protect them from any of those pests if they don't have them already, and if they do, there are much safer ways (for the guinea pigs) of killing them.

You need a shampoo made for small exotic critters -- one for kittens is fine, or for small exotic pets. You should be able to get one online if you can't find one locally.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I love (broken link removed) Shampoos. They're a real treat, and all using natural products so quite safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.