Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy We will control her with our cuteness!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I think the piggies are manipulating me. They heard me rustling a plastic bag and started making the loudest wheeks I have ever heard them make. They thought I had veggies but it wasn't even close to veggie time. I caved anyway. I could not resist the cuteness that they were displaying. I'm so wheek!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the bag rustling or fridge opening wheek is a common one that many pigs learn right away. It's tempting to give in every time but you have to remember that guinea pig diets are limited to 1 cup of veggies daily and 1/8 cup of pellets daily. It's important not to overfeed.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
No worries, they did not get overfed, just fed a little early :)

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
One of my favorite things that my piggies do as far as a food-related cue / manipulation is the morning alarm. I set my alarm for both 5 a.m. and 5:30 a.m., but truth be told I very seldom actually get up at 5:00. The pigs used to wheek when they heard the alarm at 5, and then wheek again at 5:30. They have since stopped wheeking at 5:00 but I swear are extra loud at 5:30, when they know I will be up to feed them (which I do even before I have my coffee).

I am well trained!

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Bugsy used to do that. It cracked me up. I told my fiance we didn't need a burglar alarm... just tie a bag of lettuce to the door. Bugsy will let us know when someone comes in >.<

MLT2007

Cavy Slave

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
Twix does that ALL the time. I moved a bag of trash and she wheeked! Once,I came in the room eating a tootsie pop...Twix saw it and...WHEEK WHEEK!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
My piggies seem to respond to "people food" too. Of course I would NEVER give it to them but they sniff the air when I eat in their room. I am working alot of extra hours right now so instead of eating in front of the TV I sit next to their cage and talk to them to get some kind of interaction everyday. I miss not being able to spend my normal amount of time with them so I do what I can right now. They're so cute when they sniff the air, as if to say " Whatcha got, mom? It smells so good!"

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
My girls now rn't wheekers. I miss the wheeks. I usually only hear them when they are tormenting each other lol. Really hoping the new one is more talkative than these two LOL

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yeah, the bag rustling or fridge opening wheek is a common one that many pigs learn right away. It's tempting to give in every time but you have to remember that guinea pig diets are limited to 1 cup of veggies daily and 1/8 cup of pellets daily. It's important not to overfeed.

I've always considered one cup a minimum. I believe it's fine to give more, as long as the pigs are still eating ample hay.

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks @foggycreekcavy I was always very careful not to give them TOO much!

bree1818

Cavy Slave
My piggies seem to respond to "people food" too. Of course I would NEVER give it to them but they sniff the air when I eat in their room. I am working alot of extra hours right now so instead of eating in front of the TV I sit next to their cage and talk to them to get some kind of interaction everyday. I miss not being able to spend my normal amount of time with them so I do what I can right now. They're so cute when they sniff the air, as if to say " Whatcha got, mom? It smells so good!"

Dixie does this whenever I peel an orange. And heaven forbid I do it while she's sitting in my lap! The funniest thing is she wheeks really really really loudly at 6:30am to get me up, and then again when I turn on the light in the kitchen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.