Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everybpdy

lexi43

Cavy Slave
I'd just like to introduce myself and my pets. We have a whole lot of fur and feather babies in our home. We have 7 dogs 14 cats 12 birds and 4 guinea pigs.
Well acturally we started out with 2 guinea pigs. That was about 4 years ago. Cisco and Poncho. Last year Poncho died and we were thinking about getting another pig to keep Cisco company. Then we decided that Cisco may be happy by himself and we changed our minds. A few months ago my friend called and asked me if I wanted to adopt her cousnin's pig because she was allergic to it. The pig came with it's own cage and food so we thought we would leave it in it's own cage so Cisco would have his own place. We thought it was a boy and it cried and squeaked all night so we decided to get him a male companion. Well we were wrong. Smokes turned out to be a female and Snickers did what came naturally and now Smores just gave birth to two babies. There were three but one was stilll born. Well now we have Snickers Smores, Oreo and Reeces. We are probably going to keep the two babies also. We are just waiting to sex them so they can be seperated if need be, The only thing we are worried about is if we have to put the male in with Cisco. Snickers is now helping Smores with the babies and we don't want to pull him out of the cage nor do we want Smores to have more babies.
Well that's the story. I look forward to meeting some of the people on this forum and to hear any feedback on this problem.

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
I,too had an unexpected litter. Twix gave birth to three babies,one stillborn but otherwise mommy and babies are healthy! Now,is Cisco seperated? If he was with the pregnant piggie (Smores,right?) during labor,right after birth sows go in heat and she could have a back to back pregnancy. In three weeks,you should be able to sex the pups. You can post on here and some of the members can help you! Make sure their mom is nursing them,it can take twenty-four hours for her to get her milk. In three days the pups will begin eating big guinea food. They also can start early. If there is a male with the mother pig now,she is most likely pregnant again and back to back pregnancies can be harmful. In case there is a chance,seperate the adult boar from the cage. Male pup(s) need to be removed in three weeks,and females can stay with their mom.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

Females can get pregnant within minutes after giving birth. You need to remove the male NOW and pray that she isn't pregnant as back to back pregnancies is even more dangerous then a normal one. Leave the boys until they are three weeks old and then separate. Get a vet to help you sex them if you are unable to do it yourself. Little piggies can be difficult.

In the future. always, ALWAYS check the gender of both guinea pigs before putting them together. People missex all the time. It's sadly fairly common.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your piggies. All I can say is research, research, research. I have learned SO MUCH about guinea pigs on this forum. You need to take daddy out, or mommy will get pregnant again. And the baby boys can get mommy pregnant at 3 weeks of age (YIKES). Piggies usually do better with a cage mate, so I bet Crisco would be pleased to have a friend in his cage.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You should show us pictures of all of your pets!

Little One

Cavy Slave
Hi welcome to the forum. Please get the male away from the female now or you will have even more babies! Breeding is very dangerous for sows, especially in a back to back pregnancy.

You can try to introduce your two boars on neutral territory. Also make sure that the cage you are going to house them in doesn't smell like either pig. Scrub everything in it, including the bars. Also two boars need more room than sows, I think the recommendation is a 2x5 C&C (or bigger).

Like others said at 3 weeks you are going to need to spearate any baby boys. You can try to house them with the other males, or if both babies are male you can house them together.

Feel free to post pigtures, we would all love to seem them :)

lexi43

Cavy Slave
I just took Snickers the dad to two babies out of the cage and put him in with Cisco my 4 year old guinea pig. So far no fighting but I don't think Cisco is really thrilled about it. I am praying that it's not too late because I don't want anything to happen to Smores (the mom) The babies are now a week old so keep your fingers crossed for me.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Keep us posted @lexi43 (and we would LOVE pigtures)

lexi43

Cavy Slave
We have an appointment to have the two babies checked out and to make sure mom's not pregnant again. I tried to find out but I'm not sure about their sex. They are getting really big now. As soon as I can get a close up of them I'll post the photos. We are hoping that there is a boy and a girl because I don't want to take them both away for the mom. She looked so sad when we tood Snickers out of her cage but now she's busy with the babies. We tried putting Snickers in with Cisco but he wasnt thrilled with the company so now Snickers is in his own cage.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
How big was the boys cage? Did you do proper introductions? You can't just drop a strange pig into anothers cage and expect them to get along. Even more so if the cage is too small. I suggest you read up on introductions and cage sizes before giving up on the two boys getting along.

How old are the babies? I am not sure what help the vet will be in determining if mom is pregnant again if she is only a week or two along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.