Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Midwest Cage Expansion Experience?

artgecko

Cavy Slave
Hi folks,

I currently have a midwest cage and am considering buying another and connecting the two. I know I'm on a C&C cage forum, but since I've already got one Midwest cage, simply buying a second and attaching it to the first seems easier than tracking down everything I need for a C&C cage (I also can't find Coro locally and shipping it from somewhere online is crazy expensive).

For those that currently are using a midwest cage or midwest cages together, do you have any tips on how to arrange the cages or any pics to show how your cages are connected? I can't decides if it would be better to do a 90 degree angle connect or end-to-end, etc. In case it matters, to the cage layout, I currently have 2 female GPs and a third in quarantine (hence the consideration for a larger cage setup).

I would also love any tips or pics of your cage accessory layout for those using combined midwest cages. I currently have a simplistic setup with 1 bed, 1 tunnel, and a hay litter box... But with 2 cages, not sure if I should put beds in both, or give them one that is almost all open to run in, etc.

Thank you for your input folks, it is greatly appreciated!
Art

lissie

Cavy Slave
There's a picture on Amazon with two connecting cages.
(broken link removed)

SamanthaC02

Cavy Slave
As far as I'm concerned a Midwest cage is a c&c made using alternative materials, so you're good in my book.
From the look of those pictures it seems you can line it up anyway two doors meet and then maybe just zip tie it for security.
please post pics once you've done it!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
You might want to check your local Goodwill too for grids and just add the grids to the Midwest cage to expand it. I did that and it worked great. it seems that our Goodwill always has some combo of the grids cheap.
You should check your local Home Depot store for the coro material-it's called "twinwall plastic" sheets or something similar and they are only $12 a sheet.
You could add on to your Midwest cage for half the cost of a new Midwest cage if you wanted.

However, there are a few people here that have 2 of the Midwest cages put together and that works great too, it's just pricier.

artgecko

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! The image links were very helpful. Rubyrain- I checked and my local home depot does have the coro sheets... I did some figuring and for a 2 x 5 grid cage, it would cost me approximately $56 to get the package of grids, the sheet of coro, and the 2 lengths of closet shelving (for a top). I can get another midwest cage on Amazon for $49 with free shipping (the model that includes a top, etc.), so I'll probably go with that. I might, however, look into making a stand with grids as the cage I have now is sitting on 2 coffee tables and I don't want it to be on the floor (I have a cat, so height is a good thing to discourage him investigating the pigs too closely). I might also look into making a custom "kitchen" area like those sold on this site using some coro... We'll see.

Thanks again for your help!

Art

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.