Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Can rats pass on URIs to guinea pigs?

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
My rat may have a URI, and he's in the same room as my pigs, and I was wondering if he could pass on a URI to them! Can he?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
That's a good question!

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
Gosh I'm kinda freaking out right now b/c I don't want to take them to the vet...will if I have to though....my piggies are sneezing occasionally, 3-5 times a day. Is that OK? Is it normal?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I don't know. Keep a close eye out for discharge and lots of sneezing.

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
There's no discharge or anything, just sneezing like 3-5 times a day. I'm worried D:

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
When my cat had a suspected URI (turned out to be the feline herpes virus), I asked the vet this very same question. She said she was taught in school that problems of that type aren't supposed to move between species, but that she's seen some odd things and would recommend keeping the cat away from the pigs. Given that rats are a closer species, I'd definitely not want to take any chances.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Who is sneezing? The rat or the pigs? At any rate, please take the rat to the vet. It's possible he has myco--a very common respiratory infection in rats. He will need antibiotics.

mitty18

Cavy Slave
From what I learned in my research you should never house rats and Piggy's in the same room as the rats can give the piggys URIs. Don't quote me on that, its what I read while researching. I've got my piggy and my rats desperate so as not to risk it.

mistymu

Cavy Slave
my rats and gp have been housed in same room since I got the gp's
resp in rats is usually caused by the Myco which they already have and tho some subscribe to it being catching I find its more their environment that causes issues and flare ups
URI are usually a secondary infection if myco hasnt been treated properly and quickly so if you just have myco resp I wouldnt think this could be passed on (unless its known for GP to have myco in their system too)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Bacterial infections are contagious but viruses are not between different species with a few exceptions (like the swine flu) that crossed species.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.