Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage addition and a question

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi all! Today I added a fleece forest to my girls cage and I think they like it. They spent some time going in and out, in and out and Itsy popcorned when coming out of it. This is what my cage looks like now:

I was also wanting some advice on adding a second level. I've seen several threads on this and also photos but my problem is that the connectors one can get in USA do not fit the grids I bought here in UK. The grids are 14inch so same size, but I can only assume that the wire is ticker in US grids. Here in the UK I cannot find 4 ways connectors (you know, the ones that attach to upper floors). Question is: are cable ties/ zip ties enough? With three piggies should I support from below anyway?

Thank you :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
You could use a dowel rod to support the grids or a PVC pipe. The zip ties could work but you will DEFINITELY need a support rod.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
There are people on this forum who use high strength zip ties alone with no connectors and have no problem with support, but it would also depend on the design of the second level.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Those grids look like the ones I got from wayfair. If you turn the connector so the 'pointy bit' its facing out are there not ridges around the edge to fit grids to go up?

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Thank you both. I'm planning on a smaller upper level, maybe just 2 x 1 or 2 x 2 max. I am a bit paranoid though and keep having images of all collapsing so will probably go down safer route and support it. :p

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
My advise would be to use zip ties as well, it'll keep it together.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Those grids look like the ones I got from wayfair. If you turn the connector so the 'pointy bit' its facing out are there not ridges around the edge to fit grids to go up?

Hi IklePink!

I wouldn't be able to attach a grid as a base though. But I guess I could just to secure the 2nd floor walls and use something else as a base where to put the coroplast. Husband is saying some planks of wood with some brackets on the ends might do.

Thank you :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.