Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

lost my first guinea pig a couple weeks ago

piggy

Cavy Slave
Almost 3 years ago my friend got a guinea pig. I was fascinated with the little cavy that I wanted one of my own. So I saved up $200 and spent most of it on what I thought was good for him(I guess a pet store cage is looked down upon here). Needless to say he did all the little signs of contentment anyways.
Even though the vet said he was very healthy he died a couple weeks ago. Since then I have revived my habit before I got him, plowing the internet to fill my cavy cravings. I just thought I'd share as I'm sure a number of you has lost a special guinea pig. Hopefully I'll post my favorite picture of him, which was after a bath, properly.

piggy4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

piggy

Cavy Slave
Well, that attatched thumbnail part was useless.
Had to make a mistake to figure it out, however.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
God bless his sweet little soul.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Bless, he was beautiful. I'm very sorry for your loss; I dread the day when it'll happen to one of my pigs :(

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Poor guy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
What an adorable little guy. You must really miss him.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
He was a beautiful little guy. I'm sorry for your lost.

Sweetywheety

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry:( I had a guinea pig named Oreo who passed away Thanksgiviving '04. I came home from school, went to play with her and Chip, and she was dead!

Squirle

Cavy Slave
Im soo sorry! I know how it is to loose your pet. And he was your first piggy! You gave him the most careing, loving, home and family he could have ever wished for. RIP little guy

piggy

Cavy Slave
i do miss him alot
and i appreciate all the warm comments

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. He certainly was a cute little guy.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am sorry for your loss. He was a good looking pigger.

I guess a pet store cage is looked down upon here
Just in case you haven't noticed, this site is all about cubes and coroplast or C&C cages. Petstore cages don't meet the recommended sizes that guinea pigs need to be able to comfortably run and play. If you decide to get a couple more piggies, a C&C is very cheap to build, it costs much less than buying a petstore cage.

I removed your thumbnail. It does take some trial and error sometimes to figure things out.

Wildjem

Cavy Slave
What a cutie he was. He looks like my little Ally. I bet they are in pig heaven having a ball.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I am sorry about your pig. He was very cute. Dont worry about having the store bought cage. Its all about educating yourself and improving. Next time you get a pig (two is better), then you will have the information provided by this site to help guide you. :0)

piggy

Cavy Slave
That's for sure. I think it's great this site has instructions on how to make them as I never knew how before, not like my parents would let me; but it's only a couple years until I'm on my own anyways. But next time I'm planning on getting two. Or maybe a rabbit and a guinea pig, I've heard that's good. Suggestions?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Rabbits and guinea pigs aren't a good mix especially caged together. Guinea pigs need other guinea pigs for company not a person or a rabbit. They also require different pellets. They can't eat the same food and if a guinea gets in the way of those strong back legs it could be a disaster. Guinea pigs should be caged with guinea pigs and rabbits with rabbits. Even mixing at floortime could be dangerous.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You shouldn't keep rabbits and guinea pigs together. I would either go with piggies or rabbits or a couple of each but not one of each housed together. Rabbits carry a bacteria that pigs can get and it can kill them, also rabbits can easily injure a pig by kicking it with it's strong back legs.

piggy

Cavy Slave
I was worried about the pellet thing, because the brand pellets I like have vitamin C in it. I'm glad I got some feedback because the pet store, even though I realize they are not totally educated and shouldn't take all their advice to heart, said it would be fine along with some other people who had mixed the two. And I was skeptical since I've read in a rabbit care book that the strong hind legs become a problem in fights when rabbits bicker.
So now I know that it's not a good idea for when the time comes for me to get another piggy. Thanks.

piggy

Cavy Slave
I've never heard about that bacteria, but I'm glad that I'm now aware. So is it safe to say that I should not buy a guinea pig that has been housed with rabbits in a pet store? The pet store's I know of do that.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Don't buy a pig from a pet store. Pet store pigs are often ill, pregnant or mis-sexed.

Instead, look for shelters/rescues in your area - if you say whereabouts you are, some of the Americans on this site can help you find the nearest one to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.