Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Where's my BFF?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I attempted to post this once and it did not appear to post correctly, so my apologies if this is a repeat. I witnessed some odd behavior from Penelope today. I took Kiwi out of the cage for some lap time and Penelope went crazy searching the cage for her and started biting the grids. Penelope does not like to be handled, otherwise I would have taken her out too. They have been cage mates for about 2 weeks now, as I got Penelope a month ago and Kiwi about 2 weeks ago. What does this mean? I am apprehensive about taking Kiwi out of the cage now, at the expense of Penelope's mental well being.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
I don't know if I have a good answer for you, but here's my take. Our Layla would do that whenever we would take Bella out when we first got them. She would also rumble and chase Bella around when she got back. I think it could be 2 things.

1) She's still getting used to you and her surroundings and feels insecure when her friend disappears with that scary monster. In time, she'll get over it. In the meantime, toss her a veggie to distract her.
and/or
2) She's the dominant piggy and didn't give Kiwi permission to leave the cage.:D

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Since guinea pigs are herd animals and get bonded to their companions, it stands to reason she'd be worried when she couldn't find her.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I kind of figured it might be something like that. They are pretty close to one another, despite only being cage mates for 2 weeks. I never considered the domination factor. You're right, Penelope is the "alpha", so to speak, and most likely did not give permission to leave the homestead :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
For a while Felix would let out intense wheeks (he's a silent boy normally) when I took izzy out. He'd search for her and have a spaz. He's more used to it now though.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Alchemist...That's exactly what my Penelope does!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.