PDA

View Full Version : Upper Levels Second levels for Midwest Habitat Plus Cages?

Shannon Smith
02-21-13, 06:20 pm
We currently have the Midwest Habitat Plus and are happy with the cage and liner.

We would like to add a second level, though.

Is it possible to add another midwest Cage on top of our original cage? If so, what do we need to do?

If not, how do we add a second level and ramp to our Midwest Cage?

Thanks!

What we have:

Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus:Amazon:Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NJ0DQ8)

YourSoJelly
02-21-13, 07:46 pm
What if you made a bunk bed style with actual grids?

Shannon Smith
02-21-13, 08:14 pm
How would I go about making that? It sounds interesting.

Thanks!

YourSoJelly
02-21-13, 09:05 pm
I have a C&C cage but this is a bunk bed: 42970

Please excuse the piggy! But it is a grid placed halfway up the wall so they can hide under and on top of it. There is another grid above the bunk bed so they can't climb out. I also don't have coroplast like I should and the poop flies out sometimes if I dont have their bed up on it.

Shannon Smith
02-22-13, 08:11 pm
I have a C&C cage but this is a bunk bed: 42970

Please excuse the piggy! But it is a grid placed halfway up the wall so they can hide under and on top of it. There is another grid above the bunk bed so they can't climb out. I also don't have coroplast like I should and the poop flies out sometimes if I dont have their bed up on it.

That is neat! I may try that. Thanks!

YourSoJelly
02-22-13, 08:44 pm
Yup! The cone keeps it from being wobbly.

lissie
02-23-13, 12:33 am
I don't think the sides of Midwest cages are strong enough to hold a loft, or the half loft like that.

If you can get grids, you could make a loft from grids. I'll draw some ideas and post back in a bit.

lissie
02-23-13, 01:20 am
Here's an idea for 1x2 C&C loft.

Build the shelving part like this.

Then make a coroplast tray and ramp. (The ramp should have sides, I didn't draw them in the model.)

Then slide the midwest cage under the loft.

See this gallery for ramp ideas.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/g509-ramps-and-steps.html

lissie
02-23-13, 01:44 am
Another idea is to buy another midwest cage and put on top of a coffee table. Make a ramp from the top cage to the bottom cage. You can probably drill holes in the coffee table to attach the ramp.

Shannon Smith
02-26-13, 11:01 am
Thank you Lissie. I did buy a set of cubes at Target and have to return them. It just doesn't work well with my Midwest Cage. The size of the cubes compared to the Midwest cage aren't the same and they aren't sturdy, even with zip ties. Maybe it's the brand I purchased.

However, I also purchased a few organizers for kitchen cabinets and closets from Home Depot and two of them worked inside of the cage. One is just sitting inside the cage with a towel hanging over it, which they love crawling under and the other one has hooks on either side and I hung it sideways inside of the cage and clipped a towel inside so it made a cave effect. They have been jumping up in it and I'm hoping they will start napping in there. It's very cozy. I may just have to save up and purchase a two story C & C at some point, but they are still really small right now, so I have some time before I make that big purchase.

Thank you!

Shannon Smith
02-26-13, 11:04 am
I forgot to add that we have a dog and a cat... our dog has not adjusted to the piggies as well as we had hoped, so I have to keep them up off of the floor on a table and with an enclosed top. I just can't trust him with them on the floor or close to the floor. Otherwise, I'd love to have them lower.

Mellisenda
04-18-13, 03:56 pm
Shannon, did you get anything worked out? We have the Midwest cage and are talking about adding a bunk style level into it.