Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HI!! Newbie with questions lol

JillLett

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone!

I am a brand new piggie owner and just wanted to say hi :) I had been wanting one for YEARS and i finally talked the hubby into it. Our lil guy...mr nibbles..is the cutest thing ever. It will be 2 weeks on Saturday since we got him. He is very young. 7 weeks. I got him from a pet store..pls dont be mad i did NOT realize there was a rescue and tons of adoption pages until we purchased him..he was in a little glass cage with 4 other lil guys. He looked at me..i picked him up..he started to nibble on my shirt and i fell in love. I feel like we rescued him from a bad place even tho i know NOW not to buy our next one at a pet store :) Anyhow i just wanted to say hi. I have some questions tho about a cage...we are going to get one from the rescue and its a c & c but do i need to baby proof it in any way? If so how do i do that? We are getting it this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all!!

Jill

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! Yes, the cage will need to be babyproofed. There are many ways you can do this. The way that I chose to go was poster board (like kids use for school projects). I bought several (our cage is BIG) and I cut them in half lengthwise. Then I placed them standing between the grids and the coroplast sides. Here is a pic of the finished product so you can see. My coro is black and so is the poster board but you can see where the coro stops HI!! Newbie with questions lol
I liked the poster board because it was easy, cheap, and I could make it match my cage.

Also, you will want to adopt another piggy to be a friend to yours. They are herd animals and are much happier with a friend of their own species. :)

Sindas

Cavy Slave
We started planning a C&C cage, and I realized we need to baby proof it because we're very potentially getting a youngin' too. I haven't built mine just yet as we're moving soon (I do not wanna have to lug it out/in doors and up some stairs, so we're waiting) but what I'm going to do is get the 9x9 grids, and zip tie the solid sided grids to the outside of it. So there'll be the inner grid layer, with a solid layer set flush to it. We're also going to either use a sheet or high sided coroplast going about halfway up that. Better safe then sorry!

As I've stated, I haven't built mine yet, I'm just going by what I've seen from this site. If someone else with experience tells you different, I'd listen to that. I'll listen too <3

Edit: Poster board! That's genius. And cheaper than buying the extra solid grids. I'll keep that in mind.

JillLett

Cavy Gazer
Thanks Brandi and Sindas!! Brandi i love the poster board idea. I will do that. Your cage is great! I love the black, white and red. Yea we want to get another one, we just wanted to make sure we knew what we were doing before we got another one. He seems very happy. He squeeks and is always pop corning all over his cage. So i know he will love the bigger one. Once we get it all set up we are going to the rescue and adopting another one. :)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
We started planning a C&C cage, and I realized we need to baby proof it because we're very potentially getting a youngin' too. I haven't built mine just yet as we're moving soon (I do not wanna have to lug it out/in doors and up some stairs, so we're waiting) but what I'm going to do is get the 9x9 grids, and zip tie the solid sided grids to the outside of it. So there'll be the inner grid layer, with a solid layer set flush to it. We're also going to either use a sheet or high sided coroplast going about halfway up that. Better safe then sorry!

As I've stated, I haven't built mine yet, I'm just going by what I've seen from this site. If someone else with experience tells you different, I'd listen to that. I'll listen too <3

Edit: Poster board! That's genius. And cheaper than buying the extra solid grids. I'll keep that in mind.

I have to give props to my husband for coming up with that idea! It really was brilliant! (and cheap since the baby proofing is only temporary!)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Thanks Brandi and Sindas!! Brandi i love the poster board idea. I will do that. Your cage is great! I love the black, white and red. Yea we want to get another one, we just wanted to make sure we knew what we were doing before we got another one. He seems very happy. He squeeks and is always pop corning all over his cage. So i know he will love the bigger one. Once we get it all set up we are going to the rescue and adopting another one. :)

Thanks!! And glad to hear you are planning on getting a buddy!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.