Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Looking to upgrade, but need advice.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
So, my boys currently live in a 2x4. They get along pretty well, thankfully, just minor disagreements that usually end in a flipped over house and lots of chattering. I really would love to give them more room, though, because I know that you cannot count on any pigs (especially boars) to always get along. A 2x5 would be perfect for me, but my apartment is relatively teeny and my roommate/best friend has put up with enough (one pig became two, cage took over living room, hay is stuck to everything, etc.)

So, I'm thinking I'd like to build UP instead, but I know that ramps can really count against space...if the top level were a 2x3 would that be an increase in overall space or would it still be detrimental? I really don't know too much about building cages, particularly ones with lofts/second levels.

OR could I put a whole other 2x4 on top? Would that make it super hard to clean?

Clearly, I just need some advice :p

I've had Bernie and Bert for 6 months/5 months respectively, and Bernie wheeked for the first time tonight! He has always been my quiet boy...Bert is clearly starting to rub off on him. What a brat. lol
RKWk0Pyh.jpg

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
well, from your details it sounds like either a upper 2xe or 2x4 would work. now, cleaning wouldn't probably be a poblem, if you could slide the lower coro out to clean, but if not, you'd have to cram all the way back it there to sweep poops off fleece or get bedding. i am a freshman and i still can't reach the back for my pigs cage without pulling out the coro, or else i get caked in bedding. i have a 2x3 with a 2x2 upramps. so, look at your options, and think cleaning. i hope you have luck, and your boys are super duper cute!

PhinniePig

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say that your guinea pigs are super cute! :) Unfortunately I cant give you any advice on a second level - since i only have a single level cage.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
well, from your details it sounds like either a upper 2xe or 2x4 would work. now, cleaning wouldn't probably be a poblem, if you could slide the lower coro out to clean, but if not, you'd have to cram all the way back it there to sweep poops off fleece or get bedding.

The sweeping is exactly what I was thinking about. I think I would make the upper level the food area, so hopefully they would do a good amount of their business there, but I know they still wouldn't be able to resist pooping in their beds.

Do you know how I could make it so the lower coro easily slides out? Would the upper level need to be supported by something else? I'm just really not sure of how it would all fit together.

And thank you! I think they're pretty handsome :melodrama

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
well, my coro slides in and out pretty good. the bottom of thd cage is grids, and the innermost have the x's to the bottom, so not to keep it from sliding. my upper level is on top of grids, another whole grid higher if you get my meaning, than the bottom of the cage. i dont have a picture on my tablet, which im on since i have no computers around at the moment. but all i do is not secure the two front grids on it, and ziptie them together, but no on the sides or bottom so they are still removeable. then, i just take off the two connectors and the two grids at cleaning time, and pull out the coro clean it, blah blah blah, then slide it back in and replace the grids and connectors. i'm sorry if this is a bit confusing. :)

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
well, my coro slides in and out pretty good. the bottom of thd cage is grids, and the innermost have the x's to the bottom, so not to keep it from sliding. my upper level is on top of grids, another whole grid higher if you get my meaning, than the bottom of the cage. i dont have a picture on my tablet, which im on since i have no computers around at the moment. but all i do is not secure the two front grids on it, and ziptie them together, but no on the sides or bottom so they are still removeable. then, i just take off the two connectors and the two grids at cleaning time, and pull out the coro clean it, blah blah blah, then slide it back in and replace the grids and connectors. i'm sorry if this is a bit confusing. :)

Durrrr I will try reading that again tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy, hahah I'm having trouble picturing it

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
I made a basic plan of a 2x3 on top of a 2x4 - the doors open out on one side as much as possible without compromising support for the upper level. Not sure how steep that ramp will really turn out, though. Maybe you could do a cornered ramp in two parts or something.

Untitled.jpg

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Would the ramp not be a little too steep in that design? Xx

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Would the ramp not be a little too steep in that design? Xx

Exactly what I thought. An L-shaped ramp would be better.
(broken link removed)

aNervousFlower

Cavy Slave
I made a basic plan of a 2x3 on top of a 2x4 - the doors open out on one side as much as possible without compromising support for the upper level. Not sure how steep that ramp will really turn out, though. Maybe you could do a cornered ramp in two parts or something.

That is a really great idea!
What I did for the end of my cage was put up a mid-height couple of grids. This means I don't have any ramps taking away floor space on the main (and Jasmine especially likes to hang out under the lowered area lol). They usually just hop up onto the little house and then take the mini ramp up to the top level. If you had a support pillar in the middle (like where mine is) you could even have two, one-square 'step up' levels (almost like one of those twisty staircases :hypnotize) and eliminate ramps altogether. I might try that in a future reno.

IMG_0652.jpg

Amy262

Cavy Slave
I have three girl piggies in a 3 story cage. My girls LOVE having the three floors. A lot of the time, they will all be on different floors. It really gives them the space that they need for their solo time. It's true that the ramp does take away a bit of floor space, but my girls spend as much time running on the ramps as they do the flat surfaces. They love running up the ramps and the whizzing back down. I'm completely convinced (based on my own experience and watching our piggies) that two levels or more help provide the space they need. They can retreat to a completely different level of the house if they are having a disagreement with another piggie. Our cage is a 2x4 on the bottom, goes up to a 1x2 with an additional walkway (that I just added) to a smaller bedroom of 1x1, and from there goes up to the top floor of 1x3 with an additional square forming an l-shape. Kind of difficult to explain, but it works well for us!

To assist in the angle of the ramp, you can also add a couple of bricks under the ramp with an additional brick stepping up to it. I secured the bricks together with industrial strength Velcro (the glue stuck fine to the bricks, and then I could Velcro the bricks together so that they wouldn't pinch any piggie toes) and then velcroed the ramp to the bricks to keep it from slipping. I only had to do this with the ramp going to the top floor because it was just a tad too steep.

G_Piggler

Cavy Slave
Your plan looks good (with L ramp) but I think there are even easier to clean styles out there. 2x4 with no road blocks is great for your boys, so now you just need additional space for beds and a kitchen, right? Well how about a LOFT for the beds and an easy to clean 4x1 upper level for the kitchen? And for your ramp- I LOVE the half floors idea above, and I LOVE the long Exterior ramp along the entire 4 grids on the BACK of your cage. I've seen great photos here, check them out and your darling boys are very lucky!

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Wow! So many great ideas! Makes me want to rearrange my cage right now. Who needs a reason? Ha ha ha.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for all these great ideas!

(broken link removed), what would be the difference between a loft and an upper level?

G_Piggler

Cavy Slave
So to me, a LOFT is a grid floor 5 grid squares up. Gpiggies can still zoom under a loft, and have their cozies up out of lap routes. An upper level is a full grid up, another full cage floor stacked on top. I'm sorry I can't seem to post photos lately, still figuring out why, but check out my page and cage- it's been really successful as the minimum size, 2x4 would be ideal. L-brackets zipped tied in help to support your loft and upper level, also wood dowels from what I've read.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
I got pictures!

So, first, you open your cage up.
1 (2).jpg
Then, you simply remove the corner connectors and pull out the front grids.
1 (3).jpg
Then, you make sure the base is over the outer connector so it won't get broken.
1 (6).jpg
Then you lift up the ramp, and pull out the coro.
1 (7).jpg
This si for my last post when you said you couldn't really get it, @BernieAndBert . I hope this makes more sense!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
I love those adorable piggies munching in that photo!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I haven't really read this whole thread so forgive me, but what about putting the ramp on the outside? I did that and I love it! Doesn't take away any space.

Could you really not expand out to a 2x5? Could you relocate the cage maybe? Just a suggestion. If you're looking to save space you could put the cage on a table only a foot above the ground, put stuff underneath and stack it? Then you could maybe expand out a bit because hay and pellets and all that won't take room.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
If you put the ramp in the middle instead of an edge, they can still run the outer loop.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
If you're worried about a ramp taking up space, you could do a half-loft (loft half-way up the grid that the pigs can easily jump into). I came up with another plan with three floors. You can lift out the upper two levels and clean them and doors open to clean the lowermost.

Untitled2.jpg

The actual cage is only two grids high but it has three levels that are close enough for your pigs to jump into without needing a ramp. The middle levels are usually a good spot for them to hide as they have a 'roof' and you can keep the lowermost level more-or-less clear for them to run.

The middle level is in two parts so that your boys can each have a little area to get away from the other and each part is only two grids wide so it should stay up pretty well.

The third floor will probably need a horizontal support (a rod of some kind - wood/PVC pipe) to prevent it from sagging, although if you use connectors as well as cable-ties it may stay up without any additional support. There are people who have done that.

ETA: I forgot to add a grid in each corner in the front where the half-loft is - piggies will probably be able to jump that so one more grid as a barrier would be better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.