Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to guinea pigs in Ohio!

AprilLarch

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm in my 30s, have 2 sons, married. I adopted a male pig from Craigslist a week ago. Then I adopted 2 brothers over the weekend, also from craigslist. The single male is 1 year old and the brothers are 4 weeks old. The oldest boy came with the name "ralphie". So I named the twin babies "randy" and "scut". Who knows why they received those names? I have them in two 2 by 4 feet cages. So they have around 16 square feet of space (once I take down the wall in the middle). So far ralphie is ignoring the babies. So I am not sure when I should attempt taking down the middle wall to let them get to know each other. Every day all 3 of them are a little less shy about me. A little less hiding. The babies started "popcorning" I guess you call it. Running around hopping and skipping. Ralphie has even done it a few times. The piggies are so cute, sweet, and funny. I am really enjoying them. I have them on towels with fleece on top. I've been sewing for them making a sleeping bag and a hay bag. Ralphie thinks the hay bag is for sleeping in. He stands on the ground with his head and chest in the bag sound asleep. Well that is about it. I am more of a lurker but I'll try to contribute when I have something to say. I've actually been lurking for a week now.

Sundaexoxo

Cavy Slave
Awh! welcome to the forum!! Love the names! Got any pigtures??

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I would love to see pigtures of your boys! lol

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. You sound like a wonderful piggie mommy. Lucky piggies. Look forward to pictures, especially of Ralphie with his butt sticking out while sleeping in the hay bag. Cute, cute, cute.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
WELCOME!!!! PIGTURES ARE DEMANDED HERE LOL! Seriously though, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I would try introducing them in a neutral area without any of their piggie smells in it. Then if they seem to be doing fine put them in the cage with the middle wall gone. Remember to observe them though. They will try to establish a hierarchy of dominance so they may fight, chase each other or mount a bit. Don't get to worried though unless you see some hardcore fighting or blood drawn as most of it is normal.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Welcome! As for the introducing, I would recommend a buddy bath and completely clean out their cage. That will make everything a neutral territory. Just because they have lived next to each other, doesn't mean that they already have their hiearchy set up. Don't separate them unless blood is drawn. Welcome to the forum! :)

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I would also like to see pics...especially of Ralphie hanging out of they hay bag! Too funny!

Sindas

Cavy Slave
Welcome, and I second..third? fourth? lol.. the pic of Ralphie sleeping with the hay <3

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Pigs are so silly! You should post the hay picture! :D

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Wooo hay pigture!! Lol We get really excited about pigtures around here.... could you tell lol ?

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I am also in Ohio, but I have sows or I would suggest a piggy play date LOL Can't wait to see pigtures of the little guys :D

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Ohh.. I wish there was someone near me to have a piggie play date with! I think it would be so fun to do a piggie play date photo shoot!

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Never seen this many fellow Ohioans here before! I'm from Oakwood Village to be precise, about twenty minutes from downtown Cleveland. Whereabouts are you from?

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I recently moved to Piqua. It is in between Dayton and Toledo. So I don't know like anyone out here. And [MENTION=26656]bguardguy[/MENTION] I would so do a piggy play date photo shoot with you and Tobias if you lived closer... and i didn't have to worry about him impregnating my piggies LOL

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
I go to Dayton once a year for like a week! lol. Does that count? Maybe one day they can have a skype play date. lol

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
@bguardguy I got to skype with our new piggy today lol. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to think of that LOL. If you ever decide to have Tobias nurtured, you are welcome to bring him for a visit when u r in the area LOL

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Lol! Thanks! I think I probably will get him neutered eventually. Do you know a rough estimate on the cost of that? Or have you ever had boys?

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I have never had a boar. Just my girls. Wish I could be more helpful.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
It's all good. I have a followup visit at the vet's tomorrow, so I can talk with them about it. I won't have to wait to long. I have been up for over 24 hours though, so I am going to bed! Night alli!

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.