PDA

View Full Version : Cage Water bottles in or out?

aeiou
02-19-13, 04:05 pm
Ok I've always put them on the outside, personally, but then I saw people here who put them inside the cage with an extra hook for the nozzle. Is there a reason? because it seems harder to me...Is it just based on personal preference or what?

ellisa
02-19-13, 04:08 pm
I've always put water bottles on the inside of the cage. I don't really think one way is "harder" than the other. I guess it's just preference and whether you have pigs that will try to eat the water bottle if it's plastic.

aeiou
02-19-13, 04:36 pm
Do you have a reason? or do you just like it on the inside?

I'm sorry if I sound rude I'm just wondering...

ellisa
02-19-13, 04:40 pm
Do you have a reason? or do you just like it on the inside?

I'm sorry if I sound rude I'm just wondering...

Haha, you don't sound rude at all! I really don't know why I put them on the inside. I just always have. I think I started because, depending on the shape of the bottle, sometimes when they're on the outside it's a harder reach to the nozzle. Other than that I don't really know why I do! We keep our chin's bottle on the outside. She's sneaky and out probably try to unhinge it of it were on the inside. lol

aeiou
02-19-13, 04:54 pm
Just making sure!

I was laughing so hard thinking back to when I bought a bottle and it came with the extra little hook (I didn't know it was for the nozzle) and I was so confused...haha but I bent it into shape to use for a bottle that I lost the hook for.

So it's just whatever you feel like doing? I guess if you had a cage up against a wall you could do that to have it on those grids....

Thanks for telling me!

mama_
02-19-13, 04:59 pm
I used to have an outer bottle but switched to an inner bottle 2 weeks ago. I saw a special bottle holder that slips onto the grids and has a metal brace that holds around the plastic (makes it harder for the pigs to chew the bottle...mine never have anyways).

I prefer INSIDE the cage for one reason: ease of access for my boys.
Due to my 6 inch coro sides, when the bottle was on the outside, the lowest I could put it was 6 inches. It was managable for them but I personally wouldn't want to drink with my head arched like that. So using an inside bottle allowed me to put it lower for them.

YourSoJelly
02-19-13, 05:15 pm
My girls had both outer and inner water bottles. It depended on what bottles we bought. One type had to be on the inside because the nozzle was all funky and the other was on the outside because it just made more sense. Now they have a water bowl because Pumpkin wastes water with a water bottle... Crazy pig

Carissa6729
02-19-13, 05:26 pm
Hmmm....good question. I've always had outside water bottles and never even considered putting it on the inside lol. Now I'm curious too why others do it lol!

YourSoJelly
02-19-13, 05:28 pm
Although, Nala seems to think that the water bowl is a toy where you have to have your front paws in the bowl to drink it...

SamanthaC02
02-19-13, 05:34 pm
I had planned on putting the bottles on the outside but the nozzle just barley went into the cage so I had to put them on the inside. I'm still looking for bottles I like that will work on the outside.

soopermum62
02-19-13, 09:53 pm
My water bottle is on the outside. I use the Super Pet chew proof glass bottles. They come with a spring and a hanger. I only use the spring to hold it on the cage. Hmmmm probably in the box under the Bird Cage. I think it was just easier to get the bottle off the outside of the cage to refill . I also use the same type of bottle & set up for my Goffin's Cockatoo. With Gizmo, Everything hanging on or in his cage has to be Chew proof... (except for the stuff I expect him to chew) I think I just carried it over to the piggies.

bguardguy
02-19-13, 10:02 pm
I have my water bottle on the inside. I bought this long pliable metal extender that the water bottle sits in. It is a ton more sturdy than the hooks you get with the water bottles. The reason I got this one is because I have an aquarium with two mice in it, and I could not get a regular hook and water bottle to work. I found this thing and fell in love with it, so naturally I got one for Tobias as well. It is super cool because the metal extender can be reshaped so I can have it at whatever height I want or need it to be. I really enjoy it. Plus, I think it is much easier to get the bottle out of the metal holder to refill it than the hooks.

bibliocavy
02-19-13, 11:39 pm
Ever since I was little, the bottles always went on the outside of the cage. That's the way I've done it for years. I don't know if it would even work the other way with the bottle I have.

SheWolfSilver
02-19-13, 11:42 pm
We have this big plastic water bottle we bought at Atwoods and it clamps to the side of the cage and it's on the outside of the cage. I don't have a reason, hubby helped set up the cage and he put them on the outside so that's what we do! But if I had an issue with them reaching it I would put it on the inside.

aNervousFlower
02-20-13, 12:15 am
I prefer INSIDE the cage for one reason: ease of access for my boys.
Due to my 6 inch coro sides, when the bottle was on the outside, the lowest I could put it was 6 inches. It was managable for them but I personally wouldn't want to drink with my head arched like that. So using an inside bottle allowed me to put it lower for them.

My coro sides are only 3 inches, so keeping the bottles on the outside has never been a problem for me. I find that if the bottle is on the inside, they are too rough with it and I'm worried they'll pull it right down!
I also don't like the idea of it taking up room on the inside of the cage, even though I know it would hardly make any difference

SqueakyPig
02-20-13, 02:33 am
I have mine on the inside, because I'm sort of a neat freak and don't want anything on the outside of the cage! :D I have tried outside, but the nozzle wouldn't go right.

nibbler100
02-20-13, 03:07 am
I have always kept my water bottles on the out side for all my small pets (: although it doesnt stop my rats from going threw a water bottle every 2-3 months... there really rough with the nozzle lol. I also only use glass water bottles.. I find them easyer to clean and chew proof (:

HannibalLecter
02-20-13, 03:48 am
I use both, one regular plastic outside bottle & a glass bottle that's actually made to go on the inside.
As the inside glass bottle has a spring to attach it with & a bottom metal hook, it's far easier to remove & attach. It's also easier to clean and drips less.

bguardguy
02-20-13, 05:42 am
I have a plastic with Tobias and a glass with the mice. I will post pics of it en I get home from work so y'all can see the metal thing. It works really well.

G_Piggler
02-20-13, 11:41 am
My coro sides were too tall in the kitchen, so I put my bottle IN my standard homemade bent grid hayrack INside the cage. I can get the right height, it doesn't take up headroom since it's in the hayrack anyway, and it blocks stinkers from climbing in. I have added a second small bottle clipped inside the kitchen because my girls aren't going through the H2O as expected, but that's for another thread....

aeiou
02-20-13, 08:29 pm
Some you guys' posts have made me think back to the metal bottle contraption holders they use in pet store cages (tanks). I've seen them at petsmart like in the tanks (back when I used to shop there lol) and they look really handy! Is this what anyone is talking about?
I'm really interested in yours bguardguy

pinky
02-20-13, 08:41 pm
I have metal bottle holders inside all of my cages. I like the ones that have a wire spring that holds the bottle in the holder and a metal part that the spouts rests on. The holder is held to the cage with a metal hanger that's about an inch wide. None of my guinea pigs have never been able to pull their bottles down when I use these. I have had quite a few bottles pulled down when I had my bottles outside the cage, held on with a U-shaped wire holder.

piggies0117
02-20-13, 09:03 pm
I put mine on the inside because I have those glass superpet ones that have the flat back so they were meant for the inside. Also, like @Abby Lauren I am a neat freak, everything else is on the inside of my cage, so the water bottle should be too. :)

bguardguy
02-20-13, 09:41 pm
I have metal bottle holders inside all of my cages. I like the ones that have a wire spring that holds the bottle in the holder and a metal part that the spouts rests on. The holder is held to the cage with a metal hanger that's about an inch wide. None of my guinea pigs have never been able to pull their bottles down when I use these. I have had quite a few bottles pulled down when I had my bottles outside the cage, held on with a U-shaped wire holder.

This is the kind I use as well! Super Pet Water Bottle Holder for 16 oz Bottles for Small Animals | Meijer.com (http://www.meijer.com/s/super-pet-water-bottle-holder-for-16-oz-bottles-for-small-animals/_/R-250319;jsessionid=03359FFC20654E9103B1D78219E40002 .instance04?CAWELAID=1818732631&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google_G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Catchall_All_Pro ducts_Catchall&kpid=392010)

There is a link. It works super well. My Tobias loves to pull on the bottle sometime, and it doesnt even seem close to ever coming loose cause it is bent over the other side of the cage. It is hard to explain since you cant see the longer metal part that bends. I SWEAR BY IT THOUGH!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRepZYkX1v8HkRg6Po8BC2grAO6z1UGa IqCp3eTcfUsVs44YFwABQ Found a link that shows how the metal part folds over the cage. I love it. My mice have one and so does Tobias.

pinky
02-20-13, 10:02 pm
I bought one of mine at Meijer's and was disappointed that the one by me doesn't carry them anymore. I had to go to Petco or Petsmart to buy another one.

bguardguy
02-20-13, 10:44 pm
I don't know what a Meijer's is. I am assuming kinda like walmart? I just went on google images and chose the first pic I found. Lol

mari11
02-21-13, 12:10 am
I found a small plastic water bottle, about 10cm high, and it goes inside the cage in a hole in the top of their box. The big glass bottle goes outside.

bree1818
02-21-13, 03:15 pm
I have mine on the outside because it's easier. Dixie has no trouble reaching it. The issue I keep running into is she pushes her food bowl over to it and stands up on the side and then holds the ball open while all the water drips down her chin and into her food dish - then she sits in the water.

aeiou
02-21-13, 03:41 pm
bguardguy and pinky
Can you just grab the top of the water bottle and slide it up and out, or do you have to fiddle with the spring?

pinky
02-21-13, 09:02 pm
bguardguy and pinky
Can you just grab the top of the water bottle and slide it up and out, or do you have to fiddle with the spring?
The spring is like a rubber band that holds the bottle tight in place. The spout rests on the bottom of the holder. You pull the spring back and slip the bottle in the holder. You don't have to remove the holder at all.... very easy to use; actually easier to use than the wires that hold bottles outside the cage.

aeiou
02-22-13, 05:39 am
I bet! That sounds great I'm gonna look for one! I only have one 16 oz bottle but I will buy this when I buy more!