Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for info on rescues in central/southern Indiana

Sindas

Cavy Slave
Hello~

I was just curious to see if anybody knew of any guinea pig rescues in the central/southern parts of Indiana that may not be as easy as looking on the internet to find, and possibly any info or opinions on said rescues. So far I've found EARPS, and rescuedguineapigs.com, who I have started contact with. While I know that most rescues are legitimate, I know that sometimes they're not what they seem to be...they claim to be a rescue, will take animals in, but end up not wanting to adopt any of the animals and hoarding them instead. Any rescues in Illinois or Ohio fairly close to the Indiana border would be ok as well, but any farther than that is not feasible due to having only one vehicle, and the hubby's work schedule. Any comments or information is much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi! I live in NE Indianapolis. Are you looking to adopt? I believe both of the rescues you have found are legitimate. I was also in contact with both when hunting for my piggies.

Ok, I just checked out your intro thread and found the answer to my question. I found the best deal on grids to be sears:

(broken link removed)

If you purchase online, you get the "online sale" and can have it shipped to your closest sears for pick-up at no cost to you. In Indy, Meyer plastics sells 4 by 8 coroplast sheets in tons of colors for $12. Super cheap and easy. I know this is not the question you asked here, but since I read your other thread, I figured you may be interested.

Also, I am not a rescue, but I adopted pregnant piggies (and daddy pig) off of Craigslist and have a baby girl for adoption. I have someone coming to meet daddy and one of the baby boys at the end of the week. If that doesn't work out, I would also have a daddy/baby pair available. You would need to find another girl piggy to live with my baby girl (Craigslist is a good source for piggies as well) if you were interested in her. Let me know if you want to talk about that more or need any additional help with cage supplies :)

I have foster piggies in my care, and am willing to travel to the right home. All adoptions and approvals are done through the rescue, not me, but you can PM me if you would like info on the piggies and the contact info/application for the rescue.

Also, I am not a rescue, but I adopted pregnant piggies (and daddy pig) off of Craigslist and have a baby girl for adoption. I have someone coming to meet daddy and one of the baby boys at the end of the week. If that doesn't work out, I would also have a daddy/baby pair available. You would need to find another girl piggy to live with my baby girl (Craigslist is a good source for piggies as well) if you were interested in her. Let me know if you want to talk about that more or need any additional help with cage supplies :)

@lovingmypiggies - I was also looking for your earlier thread to point to - too funny that you have posted here! Looks like you have found some homes for the others :)

Thanks for the info! I've been hunting around online looking for good material sources. The Meyer place, I see, isn't too far from the airport, so that's not too bad. We were going to look at the Home Depot on 135 in Greenwood this weekend, as we found they sell the coroplast as well. Looks like only in white, though. I'm looking into using fleece, so in the end I don't think the color will end up mattering too much. Maybe. hehe.

I'll keep you in mind, if for whatever reason the rescue doesn't work out (rescue doesn't think any piggies they have would be a good match for us, etc). I see that right now it appears that rescuedguineapigs.com either has bonded pairs or singles that don't play well with others, so we're not sure yet whats going to happen. We're taking our time, as we're moving next weekend into a larger 4 bedroom townhouse. My mother and sister are both moving in with us (medical reasons) so the soonest we're looking to actually adopt some piggies is in about 3 weeks. I don't really have a sex preference, but the child doesn't like boy anything so would prefer a girl lol. We'll definitely have the space for more than one, the table we're going to use as a base stand/stabilizer is 3x4 which works out to about 12 sq ft.

I've been hesitant to consider Craigslist, afraid we'd end up adopting from a backyard breeder, someone trying to get rid of a sick pet and hiding it (that unfortunately happened a few years ago to us - We got a wonderful Sheltie who after a vet visit we found was heartworm +, had a cyst, and the worst form of cancer a dog can get. Couldn't get in contact with the person again. We did everything we could, spending thousands in the process, but it has made us leary of Craigslist), or a pregnant piggie. I'll definitely keep you in mind though.

I am adopting one of @lovingmypiggies pups. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute and she has been absolutely wonderful to work with. B'Elanna won't be ready to leave her mommy for a little while yet, but she keeps me up-dated and sends pictures so that I can see her and is willing to meet me half way since I live a little ways away. I definitely say you might want to look into one of hers (and a friend) :)

I'm familiar with EARPS here in Indy and a Critter's Chance. Both are totally legit. I have a good friend who runs a ferret refuge and recommends both. I think EARPS had some piggies for fostering recently but I don't know about adoption. They have listings on Petfinder.

There is one in Illinois (I know its far) where I rescued my girls. Its called Critter Corral. I don't know if they do a foster train BUT in April I will be going near Indianapolis and I will be getting MY sow on the trip back. Maybe(if my mom says its ok) I could meet you somewhere or something dropping off a pig you like/want. :D

I have adopted a guinea pig from rescuedguineapigs.com. She has babies, juvenile and senior guinea pigs. Crystal is very knowledgeable and great to work with. I had adopted 2 guinea pigs from Petsmart and one had to be put down with in days of getting her. Then the other we thought was sick. Crystal checked her out and did a meet and greet with adoptable baby. Let just say I have 2 very very happy guinea pigs now. If you have any question feel free to contact me my e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks everyone. I think what we've decided to do is adopt one of lovingmypiggies girls, and either a single or pair from rescuedguineapigs.com. I talked to Chrystal over the phone the other day, and she's fabulous. Coincidentally, the day I talked to her she said that she had at least 8 more piggies, maybe pregnant sows too if I remember, coming into rescue from Franklin, where we are. In 3-4 weeks when we're ready and have our planned massive c&c + quarantine cage ready (maybe even an extra little "visit" playhouse next to my computer, where I live) we'll be at least giving one of the poor babies a home <3

That's so exciting! Congrats.

If you go to Petfinders there is one in Sellersburg...that is very south...They do have some addorable piggies for adoption...There is also someone who advertises on craigslist that she runs a piggie rescue...on the East side...she has piggies available now too...Bichonmom

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.