Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids How many grids?

Milliee

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I have found a c&c cage of amazon ready for sale, it is a 4x2 but each grid are 36" by 36", if made into a cage it would be is this still the minimum required for 2 guinea pigs or is it more? If it is as required I may consider getting a 5x2

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How about posting a link, so I can check it out?

Milliee

Cavy Slave
Sorry I meant cm :eek:

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hmm, They are plastic coated which means it could be easily chewed off. That kinda has me worried a bit there. Also, 36 cm is approximately around 10 and a half inches. The ones that most people use are 14 inches by 14 inches. So you would be short about eight inches. While not drastic is still a decent amount of running room. Also, it does not include the coro at all. Could it be that you could find just grids by themselves? I feel that this would be cheaper. Generally the grids come with the connectors. I have never seen them not come together as a package. Also, zip ties are only a couple of bucks here, so they should be generally cheap for you as well. I suggest maybe just looking to see a price comparison of the grids by themselves before making a commitment to buy that prepackaged one. Cause honestly, you are only paying for a package of grids and some cheap zip ties either way.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
For £6 more you can buy the pack of 26 grids off amazon, the same ones, giving you more flexibility to expand, add lofts, make hay racks etc. Or these you get less but they don't have plastic coating (broken link removed). They are what I have.

Milliee

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I will think about buying those!
Also, for a 4x2 cage using those grids how much coroplast/correx will be needed to cover it and come up the sides a little bit?
thank you all for your help!

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I got the correx from teacratepackaging.co.uk (PHS). Its only 2mm thick as opposed to 4mm but I've been using it for about 6 months and had no problem with it getting damaged. The sheets from there gave me 6in walls on the 4 grid sides and a 2 grid side and I did a 12in wall on the 2 grid bit against my wall.

Milliee

Cavy Slave
ah thankyou very much! :)

Milliee

Cavy Slave
where do you put your cage? do you have it on the floor on on a table? I don't think i'd find a table big enough and I'm not sure what else I could put it on
Also, do you put grids at the bottom of the cage or just have the outsides?

clb89

Cavy Slave
where do you put your cage? do you have it on the floor on on a table? I don't think i'd find a table big enough and I'm not sure what else I could put it on

I plan on making a stand out of grids and zip ties to put cage up off the floor.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
100_0940.jpg
This is my cage. The ones on the bottom don't have grids under, the correx just sits direct on the floor.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Also, for a 4x2 cage using those grids how much coroplast/correx will be needed to cover it and come up the sides a little bit?
Have you seen this page? It shows you how to make and all the measurements for the cage.
How to Make a C&C Cage

By the way, 36cm is 14 inches. The gird you found on the first link is the same as the ones used for C&C.

You can put the cage on the floor if there's no draft. You can also make a stand from grids or put on the table.
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.