PDA

View Full Version : Adopt Looking to adopt a female in PA

chardonay1234
02-19-13, 10:22 am
I'm looking to adopt our first guinea pig. My daughter would like a female, since she is super girly and wants me to buy all pink fleece :-) I have been reading SO much on here and feel ready to get our first piggy!! I'm hoping we can adopt her vs buying her from Petco :-(

Our zip is 17837, around central PA. I'm hoping to find one that isn't too far away, maybe under 125 miles one way. Ordering the grids from Wal-Mart today and getting fleece and coroplast this weekend!

I don't know who is more excited about getting a guinea pig.....me or my daughter :-) Being a stay at home mom I'll get to give her lots of attention :love: since she will be in our family room, not my daughter's bedroom.

Any help would be awesome :)

madrae
02-19-13, 10:27 am
I do not live in Pennsylvania, but I am a fan of Copp's Cavies Rescue on Facebook. I do believe she just recently took in a lot of guinea pigs. If this organization is not close enough to you, maybe they can help you with something closer.
You better plan for two! Piggys are so much happier with a friend!
Copp's Cavies Rodent Alliance | Petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA777.html)

bguardguy
02-19-13, 10:37 am
Glad to see you found the two adoptable females post. I really recommend those. They are super cute, and you honestly need to have two because they are social animals. It is much better for them. Grats on possibly getting those two cuties!

chardonay1234
02-19-13, 10:39 am
Glad to see you found the two adoptable females post. I really recommend those. They are super cute, and you honestly need to have two because they are social animals. It is much better for them. Grats on possibly getting those two cuties!

I noticed after I sent the email that her two have been adopted :-(

ktatum
02-19-13, 10:40 am
I was actually going to adopt those two Sunday evening. However, she sent me an email about an hour before I was about to leave saying that she gave them to someone else. It was weird and extremely disappointing :[

chardonay1234
02-19-13, 10:41 am
I do not live in Pennsylvania, but I am a fan of Copp's Cavies Rescue on Facebook. I do believe she just recently took in a lot of guinea pigs. If this organization is not close enough to you, maybe they can help you with something closer.
You better plan for two! Piggys are so much happier with a friend!
Copp's Cavies Rodent Alliance | Petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA777.html)

Yeah, they are 230 miles from me :-( I would take 2 pigs if I could, otherwise at least 1 than continue to look for a second one.

chardonay1234
02-19-13, 10:43 am
And I would prefer they were younger than older. My daughter is almost 9, I don't want to get a senior pig to only have it with us a short time before it passes.

bguardguy
02-19-13, 10:45 am
1-2 years is still relatively young for guinea pigs. They have a life span of approximately seven to eight years I believe. Hmm. Keep looking! Their should be something on petfinder.com hopefully.

chardonay1234
02-19-13, 10:46 am
I was actually going to adopt those two Sunday evening. However, she sent me an email about an hour before I was about to leave saying that she gave them to someone else. It was weird and extremely disappointing :[

I bet!!

seveneves
02-19-13, 12:01 pm
I'm looking to adopt our first guinea pig. My daughter would like a female, since she is super girly and wants me to buy all pink fleece :-) I have been reading SO much on here and feel ready to get our first piggy!! I'm hoping we can adopt her vs buying her from Petco :-(

Our zip is 17837, around central PA. I'm hoping to find one that isn't too far away, maybe under 125 miles one way. Ordering the grids from Wal-Mart today and getting fleece and coroplast this weekend!

I don't know who is more excited about getting a guinea pig.....me or my daughter :-) Being a stay at home mom I'll get to give her lots of attention :love: since she will be in our family room, not my daughter's bedroom.

Any help would be awesome :)

where are you compared to Williamsport? i live in NY but my husband works there. he leaves sunday night and they stay in some hotel?... if you could meet him at the hotel (will find out which one later) i would be more than happy to give you 2 of my girls - i have 4 and only really want 2 but they are all rescues and they are all over 1 tho... if you are interested i will post a pic and you can have your choice - i have 2 aby's 1 american and 1 AA cross - none can be bred

scichai
02-19-13, 12:14 pm
You may want to contact Have a Heart guinea pig rescue in Burlington NJ. Obviously that is very far from you, but Marci sets up arrangements for foster homes all over the area, and I believe there are some pigs being fostered in PA. There might not be any that close to you, but it may be worth a try.

chardonay1234
02-19-13, 10:46 pm
where are you compared to Williamsport? i live in NY but my husband works there. he leaves sunday night and they stay in some hotel?... if you could meet him at the hotel (will find out which one later) i would be more than happy to give you 2 of my girls - i have 4 and only really want 2 but they are all rescues and they are all over 1 tho... if you are interested i will post a pic and you can have your choice - i have 2 aby's 1 american and 1 AA cross - none can be bred

I'm not far from Williamsport, about 30 minutes. I would be very interested.

R5 plus
02-19-13, 10:48 pm
Check out This Little Piggy rescue in Exton/Coatesville area.

seveneves
02-21-13, 08:55 pm
sorry - couldnt find this thread - if you do not have any other Piggies i would strongly suggest 2 - like my goats - they are a herd/social animal - 42966429674296842969 Butterscotch and Sissy are Abys - Momma is an American and Twist is an A/A cross - none of these can be bred!!!! Butters and Sissy have never been bred and are too old to breed now - only 18m but as long as they've never been bred you shouldnt bred at all - Momma and Twist have been over bred :( and deserve a life of quiet and love

ktatum
02-22-13, 11:00 am
seveneves They are so cute!!

spy9doc
02-22-13, 07:45 pm
Take the Abys! Take the Abys! lol

If this doesn't work out for you, I would encourage you to keep looking. There are SO many cavy folks in PA and I could probably help you with some leads. Scichai mentioned Have a Heart Rescue in Burlington. They seem to always have cavies available.

piggielover89
02-25-13, 05:00 am
Hello,

i am a volunteer for have a heart guinea pig rescue. We have over 100 piggies in need of homes so I am sure we have a single or pair that your daughter would be interested in! Typically our females go out in pairs or trios unless they really don't get along with other guinea pigs as many have already mentioned they are social animals. We are stationed out of Burlington, nj but all of the guinea pigs are in foster homes, some being right in PA. If you provide me with your email address I can send you an application and get the process started. Since you are newer to guinea pigs we can always be around if you have any questions as well!

Hope to hear from you!

Mandy

chardonay1234
02-25-13, 09:33 am
I personally want two pigs, but my husband has said we can only have one. I think I can talk him into getting another one after he sees that
1. I won't let the house smell
2.they are so cute
3.that she will need a buddy to play with.

As much as I would love to put my foot down and say "Honey I know you said only 1 but we are getting 2" in reality that would just start a huge fight. You married people will know what I mean. So I can only get 1 for right now. I have my grids ordered from Walmart. They should be here March 5th or 6th. I went to Lowes on Saturday to buy coroplast, but they only had small sheets. They suggested a local sign store, which I need to call later this morning. Except the cage I have everything else I need. I can't get a piggy until the cage is ready though.

Seveneves, when I get my cage put together if you still have 1 available and if you are ok with me just getting 1 (I will understand if you are not) then I would be happy to get one. I would let Mya, my daughter pick which one. She's at school at the moment :-) BTW, you don't have to worry about us ever breeding, that is something we would never do, or give one of our animals up. She would be a part of our family all of her days.

chardonay1234
02-25-13, 09:34 am
Hello,

i am a volunteer for have a heart guinea pig rescue. We have over 100 piggies in need of homes so I am sure we have a single or pair that your daughter would be interested in! Typically our females go out in pairs or trios unless they really don't get along with other guinea pigs as many have already mentioned they are social animals. We are stationed out of Burlington, nj but all of the guinea pigs are in foster homes, some being right in PA. If you provide me with your email address I can send you an application and get the process started. Since you are newer to guinea pigs we can always be around if you have any questions as well!

Hope to hear from you!

Mandy

It looks like the areas in PA are around Phili which is 3 hours away from me, farther than I wanted to travel :-/ But thank you for posting!

chardonay1234
02-25-13, 09:35 am
Take the Abys! Take the Abys! lol

If this doesn't work out for you, I would encourage you to keep looking. There are SO many cavy folks in PA and I could probably help you with some leads. Scichai mentioned Have a Heart Rescue in Burlington. They seem to always have cavies available.

They are all so cute!! It will be hard for my daughter to pick :-)

seveneves
02-25-13, 09:48 am
I hope you dont take this wrong
but
I have become attached to Momma
so she is off the "avail" list
but the other 3 are still avail

R5 plus
02-25-13, 11:22 am
Just in case you need any more info. :)

Have you tried any local animal shelters? They don't always put them on Petfinder, but if you call, they may surprise you. Make sure they're sexed correctly, I get the idea the shelters don't have as much experience with guinea pigs and may not know a lot about them.

People sometimes dump their pets at Petsmart and Petco when they're tired of them. Several people on this site have mentioned that.

Maybe a piggy-train could bring your pig straight to you from farther away.

We got ours from Have-A-Heart. The foster mom met me more than 1/2 way at a dog event up my direction. It was a little chaotic, but what a blessing not to drive down there. We live over an hour away from them. Marci gets back to you promptly (email) and I have heard great things about her on several different sites. I can't believe all she does and with little kids. Whew! She must have great help as well.

cfoster1966
02-25-13, 02:30 pm
I know it might just me but I find american pigs so much friendlier than abbys. All of my americans will eat from my hand, let me pet them and have chats with me. MY 2 abbys run and hide whenever I am around. It has nothing to do with how long I have had them either because the 2 abbys are the only 2 I have had since they were 4 weeks old and have been with me longer than any of my other pigs. :) I would suggest you try to guide your daughter towards an american and not get caught up in all the cuteness of the abbys. Just my opinion. :)

seveneves
02-25-13, 06:25 pm
our 4H leader has often commented on the "Aby Attitude" :) maybe that's why i'm so partial to Momma

chardonay1234
04-10-13, 07:11 am
We adopted a piggy a few weeks ago :-)

R5 plus
04-10-13, 07:15 am
Pigtures? What did you finally end up doing?