PDA

View Full Version : Feet Is there a problem?

02-19-13, 09:29 am
One of my pigs toe looks a little fatter than the others and the nail is sticking out to one side, I just wondered if this is ok or if there may be a problem. It doesn't seem to be causing any pain or discomfort to him at all it just looks odd so wanted to double check.

I do normally always take them to the vet when they need treatment the reason Ive asked on here instead of going straight to a vet is my local vets are just regular cat/dog vets and I cant get to the vet I see for guinea pigs at the moment as it is a 2 hour drive and being in the Lake district, UK at this time of year, especially with the snow and ice we have at the moment its a pretty dangerous drive down there.

Hopfully its nothing but I dont want to ignore it.

I struggled to get a really good view of it but here's the best I could get:

foggycreekcavy
02-19-13, 10:46 am
It happens sometimes--I think it may be caused by some type of fungus. In the pigs I've seen with it, it hasn't spread or gotten worse, but you may want to try rubbing an anti-fungal cream into it? I don't know that it would work, but you can try. You'll have to rub it in really well to help keep the pig from ingesting it.

02-19-13, 03:19 pm
Thankyou for the advice, I will try that. Do you know what creams are safe to use?

YourSoJelly
02-19-13, 03:32 pm
My pigs have that. I think that when they grow and they have long nails, their feet form to how they had to walk with long nails. Both my girls were from neglectful homes and that is why they are the way they are.

foggycreekcavy
02-19-13, 07:01 pm
My pigs have that. I think that when they grow and they have long nails, their feet form to how they had to walk with long nails. Both my girls were from neglectful homes and that is why they are the way they are.

YourSoJelly, she is talking about one nail in particular that is thickened--not the normal curving to the side that happens.

As for creams, you can try Lotrimin or Monistat. Or, you can even try extra virgin coconut oil (I've heard it has anti-fungal properties).

YourSoJelly
02-19-13, 07:02 pm
OH! Ok, I see that now. I didn't notice thatt at first! Sorry.