Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Missexed ratties!

Riot101

Cavy Slave
So I took my new baby rats to the vet this morning (they have funny little bumps on their ears) and my vet resexed them. THEY ARE TWO NOT BROTHERS!!! Its a brother and sister!!!Also, they are around 7 weeks old...I think my girl could be pregnant now because she was kept with her brother, father and mother.What now?P.S. I've already separated them. Also, I've renamed them Mikey (boy) and Micha (girl).

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
I'm not an expert on Ratties, but I'm assuming that since you left the father and brother in with them, the chances of your mother and sister rats being pregnant is high, although I'm not sure at what age they start to ovulate. Perhaps if you didnt want babies you should have separated the mom from what you thought were 3 boys?

Riot101

Cavy Slave
No no no...You have it completely wrong! I adopted what I thought was 2 boys from a lady who had had a litter. I of course know not to have males and females mixed. She told me they were 2 males and my vet said otherwise!

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Oh OK, so sorry! Ya I would be worried she is pregnant! We just had the same thing happen yesterday with our GPs we got, ended up getting a brother and sister! What do you plan on doing with the brother and sister? Get 2 cages or rehome one?

Riot101

Cavy Slave
They are already separated into two different cages. I read that a male can be neutered around 3 months old and that's only 5 weeks away, so they will have to be happy with seeing each other through bars until Mikey can get neutered. If Micha is pregnant ill make sure I find great homes for them. If not, ill have a few more then I origianally planned.

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a great idea!

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Let's just hope she's not already pregnant! Lol

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
They can mate through the bars, make sure the cages are apart some.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Jip, they are about 30cm away from each other.

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
I hope she isn't pregnant...but one question (not trying to be rude). How do you missex a rat?! I mean...their testicles are huge. And I have two of my own boys. lol

mistymu

Cavy Slave
at 7 weeks it is usually unlikely for rats to be pregnant(not unknown no but is very young) unless they are highly developed (fortunately)....and honestly if this woman couldnt tell a boy from a girl then I would assume that maybe the mum and bubs were given the best foods to make her be extremely well developed for her age (fingers crossed for you tho :) )
the boy should also be kept seperate from the for about 3 weeks from the date of neuter to make sure there are no little swimmers still hanging around and giving you a surprise pregnancy :)
I had an 8 week old girl emergency spayed cos she had been kept with older boys when I got given her but her uterus was very immature (not the word im looking for but I just cant think of it at the moment) and there was no way it would have held bubs :)

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
lol when i first saw i title the first thing that came to mind was, "how to you miss sex rats" XD now i know! but anyways i hope all turns out well for you! and its pretty common to get both males and females fixed in the rat world. I would suggest you do the male because they can be more aggressive and unlike piggies and more like dogs getting a male rat fixed will highly help with aggressive behavior latter on in life.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.