Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New person!

Molasses

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I'm totally new to this forum. I have one guinea pig named Molasses and my name is Claire! I got Molasses from a lady who got a pregnant guinea pig from the petstore:) she lives in a 2 by 3 c&c cage with a 1 by 2 loft. I use fleece. in her cage she has several chew toys, a bell, a tube, a hut, water bottle, food bowl and hay rack. She seams really happy but she's kind of shy. Please don't tell me that I need to get another guinea pig though because we got another one from the best petstore where I live. They don't have dogs and they clean the cages everyday. They live in large cages and they take really good care of them. We took Molasses to the petstore and said we needed another girl. There were two girls at the petstore. The guy said that they were 100% sure that the guinea pig was a girl... And you probably no the story from here. Well he wasn't. We didn't find out for a while. We had to find him a new home ad once we found out we seperated the two pigs. He went to a really nice home today (but I still cried). Anyways we don't know if Molasses is pregnant tho so we aren't going to get another one until we know for sure. If she is pregnant we r gonna keep one of her sows but if she's not we r gonna wait until one comes to our humane society (I don't want to go through that whole processes again). I'm involved in 4h and I'm going to show her at some local shows! Can't wait. I've never had a guinea pig before so I just have some basic questions. What are the signs of her being pregnant? Also I live on a farm with horses and is it ok to use the same kind of hay that the horses eat for guinea pigs? Do you have to give them baths and wash their ears? If there are any other things I should know let me know!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome, [MENTION=26868]Molasses[/MENTION]. We'd love to see pictures of your piggy.

I'm sorry about your experiences with the pet store. Unfortunately, that's not an uncommon thing, and is just one of the reasons we don't recommend pet store purchases. You might want to try Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder, and contact rescues that aren't necessarily in your immediate area. Most rescues are just a group of foster homes, and there might be a foster home close to you.

If you think she might be pregnant, then you need to weigh her every day and record her weights. That will tell you how fast she's gaining, and will be your first indication that she's expecting.

Guinea pig gestation is about 59-72 days, usually at the long end of that period. At about six weeks, you should be able to feel the pups kicking if you put your hands along her sides. She'll get more and more pear-shaped, and will move less and less as she nears her due date. At that point, handle her as little as possible, because it will be very uncomfortable for her. About 5-7 days before delivery, you'll be able to hear the babies' teeth chattering, and about 2 days before delivery, the pelvic bones will start separating.

How old is she?

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
You can bathe them :) How often is totally up to you. Some need it more than others. I'm not sure on signs of pregnancy, but I'm sure someone else here can help with that. Guineas eat several types of hay, not sure if it is the same as horses though. I know timothy hay is a popular kind fed to guineas. And it sounds like you have all the basics covered :) Good luck, Guineas r a LOT of fun

Molasses

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the information! Yeah I don't think I'll ever be getting another pig from the pet store. But anyways she is 2 1/2 months old. My profile picture is my guinea pig:) that's the only picture I have of her as of now on my computer.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
@bpatters there are no rescues in my area. How would I go about setting up/joining a foster home thing around here

Molasses

Cavy Slave
image.jpg
Heres a picture of her. She's not in her cage she's in the basement

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
she's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Molasses

Cavy Slave

Molasses

Cavy Slave
Hehe thanks!!!!!!! [MENTION=26169]GuineaGal2013[/MENTION]

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
What kind of piggie is she?

Molasses

Cavy Slave
I think she is an abbysinian bc she has the crazy hair but not for sure. Her mom was a long haired breed though. She's a mix [MENTION=26169]GuineaGal2013[/MENTION]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What city are you close to? There are several guinea pigs in rescues across Ohio, but I don't know which one is closest to you.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I'm close to Dayton. That is still a little bit of a drive... but that is probably the closes BIG city near us

Molasses

Cavy Slave
There is the capital area humane society in hilliard ohio

Jess_Marie

Cavy Slave
Aww she looks just like my buffy the tuffy they could be sisters!
041.jpg

Molasses

Cavy Slave
Awwwww! Yours is adorable:) they are sisters... Just from a different mother:) [MENTION=23807]Jess_Marie[/MENTION]

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Hello Molasses! Your piggie most certainly seems to be an Abyssinian. Much like our first piggie Mr. Snuggles, whom we also got at a pet store before we knew better.

Attachments

Mr. Snuggles.jpg

SRUSTMAN

Cavy Slave
@Molasses, LOL - It looks like we have her twin sister!! And about the same age too! LOL Yes, we adopted from a store too, but . . . . I don't regret getting her and if that's where we had to go, then it was worth it! :) Our little girl's name is Espresso! 002.jpg011.jpg

nina21

Cavy Slave
awwwwww such a cute piggy:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.