Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

babies & safety

JennG

Cavy Slave
One of my three girls will be delivering w/in the next week (from what I'm guessing.) Their cage is a 2x4 on the main level w/ 6" sides of coroplast. The upper level is in the shape of a U w/ 1x2 on each side and a bridge connecting the two. My question is this: Should I make the bottom level higher than 6" to prevent the babies from getting out or is this high enough? My bridge and ramp have sides to prevent Angel (my blind girl) from falling off but I don't have coroplast on them and they are made from the grids bent.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Babies can fit through normal grids. For temporary sides you can add cardboard or double grid. Tie a grid onto the outside and offset it so the bars go through the middle of the 1st grids openings. Keep in mind babies are tiny little things. Closer to the size of an adult guinea pigs head. They also have very poor balance at first and will wobble or jerk a bit which can send them crashing head first off a ramp. I took the ramp down for my pregnant girl. Within a week or so they are alot better and can follow mom anywhere she goes.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Part of the reason for the extending the sides with cardboard is prevent them from getting between the coro and the grids. Yes, you definitely need sides higher than 6".

JennG

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about the babies safety. Snowball gave birth to a little girl this past Monday but she did not make it. Thanks for all of your help. We named the baby Honey and buried her the next evening. :(

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Aw, I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.