Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing piggies to a new one.. Trouble!

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
I asked some this already, But i want to see if there is anything else I can try..:confused: So.. here i go, I now have 5 piggies i used to have 4 but my newest one i got in january, my 2 youngest are refusing to accept her! I am planning to expand to a 3 by 5 with 2 by 2 loft, Their cage now is only a 3 by 4, Its only at floor time, ( they are in the same cage, there is a divider so they get used to each other) But in the cage is a different story.. Ive wiped everything down with a vinager and water solution, cleaned the piggies, cleaned their toys and such, introduced them, and everything, the youngest refuse, to like her and i dont know what to do :sad: Any ideas/tips? Oh and, No blood has been drawn only hair has been pulled so far.. and almost a fight (i broke it up before it got to a fight, And sorry this is in "Introduce your self!" I dont know how to put it in anything else yet..:confused:) Kay, Byee!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you read Guinea Pigs Social Life The introductions section is about halfway down. And it's VERY important that all the pigs be taken out of the cage, and that absolutely nothing in the cleaned cage smells anything like any pig that's going back in it. That means wiping down all the surfaces, including the wires, washing everything washable, and preferably rearranging the cage so that it's not familiar to any of the pigs. You can use soda pop boxes for hideys for a while until things settle down.

If no blood is being shed, you should let them alone to work out their problems. You're complicating things by separating them and then putting them back together again.

A 3x4 is the minimum size recommended for four pigs, so you're really crowding things somewhat by trying to put another one in at this point. If these suggestions don't work, I think I'd wait until after you build the larger cage to try to put them together.

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
Yeah since i am planning on expanding im hoping That will Help and I will clean everything and will introduce them in another spot and I read the social life i will keep all of that in mind when I expand and clean everything and introduce them. Thanks! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.