Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Parent Trouble

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
Trying To Convince My Parents

Benefits Of A C&C Cage

Exercise

Stimulation

Keeping The Peace

Easier To Clean

Less Vet Visits

Happier Guinea Pigs

what else can I add...please I'm desperate

pinkpearl

Cavy Slave
What exactly are your parents opposed to?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Cheaper.
Made to any size you want.

Show your Parents pictures of C&C cages on this site, that's what made my Mum want one more then me!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Show them the testimonials are the main area. I'm not sure if a C&C cage would necessarily lead to fewer vet visits though. To your list, you can add - less odor, easy to reconfigure if necessary, more space to live/run for pigs

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
She is apposed to have "rats,mice,anything like that living in her house" she also said they would smell which they don't

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
She is apposed to have "rats,mice,anything like that living in her house" she also said they would smell which they don't
If she's worried about the smell, let her know that a large C&C cage will actually make it better, not worse. A small cage full of bedding material will be filled to capacity with poop and urine much faster, and will start to smell noticeably sooner. A large cage will keep the concentration of waste much lower and can go for a longer time between cages. Also, guinea pigs aren't very smelly as far as small pets go (mice and ferrets are MUCH worse, at least in my opinion).

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
The situation isn't confirmed so i'm not going to post anything about housing, accessories, diet, etc. Please ignore all my older posts about these topics because my parents love to change their minds everyday. I know what I want but I'm having trouble getting that across to them, however on a good note I've fallen in love with two boys I haven't met, may be seeing one tomorrow good first impression I hope ;)

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
PICTURE TIME

Whisky & Jack

Attachments

8402e39_20.jpg 9745fg5_22.jpeg

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
sorry about the differences in photo size

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Just make sure your parents are in on every aspect of guinea pig ownership, such as expensive vet costs if you don't have a stable income & car yourself, diet & the possibility of a 7-9 year life span. Make sure you've got everything in place before bringing any pigs home, including a vet fund & the number to an exotics cavy savvy vet. Don't get the pigs before your parents agree & you've got a properly sized cage, if they don't allow the cage or pigs indoors, don't get them.

It's unfortunate, but it's their house & their word is final. You'll soon move into your own home & be able to do what you want.
I hope your parents will fall in love with guinea pigs & allow you to provide them with proper care. Those boys are absolutely adorable.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
As a mom, my advice is the same as the above poster. You want to make sure you parents are on board with this. I actually had to convince my husband to get our piggies. My two children and I each have one now. We have three girl pigs, and two of them have had vet visits already ($40 for the vet visit each time, and medicine for one who had a fungus infection). If you don't have your own fund set aside, then your parents will have to pay for that. If they are not going to support you with this, then it is not a good idea. My husband has no part in helping with the piggies. He tolerates them, but the piggies are strictly mine and my kids. If you don't have at least one parent's support, then this will be difficult, if not impossible, to care for them properly.

Do let them know that the C&C cage, when properly maintained, has no odor. I never smell our girls. But, once again, I'm the one who maintains the cage. Also, food is less expensive than for a cat or dog (at least, it seems to be).

I wish you good luck!!

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
Just make sure your parents are in on every aspect of guinea pig ownership, such as expensive vet costs if you don't have a stable income & car yourself, diet & the possibility of a 7-9 year life span. Make sure you've got everything in place before bringing any pigs home, including a vet fund & the number to an exotics cavy savvy vet. Don't get the pigs before your parents agree & you've got a properly sized cage, if they don't allow the cage or pigs indoors, don't get them.

It's unfortunate, but it's their house & their word is final. You'll soon move into your own home & be able to do what you want.
I hope your parents will fall in love with guinea pigs & allow you to provide them with proper care. Those boys are absolutely adorable.

I agree with everything you say and no way will I be getting them if their cage isn't under shelter, vet costs aren't an issue if they need help, they will get it and my family and I understand they are a long term pet

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
thank you everyone for your comments and advice, in the next month or so i'll have my own job and half of my weekly pay will go into my pet fund each week :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
That's great!
Being able to pay for everything yourself will make it easier, as no responsibility will fall on your parents.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you have a good plan in place. :)

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
Today I went and visited Whisky, his personality is amazing. I was sitting on the couch with him and he nuzzled my arm then ran under a pillow, couple of seconds later he would poke his noes out and just watch me before coming out to have a look again. A few of you may have noticed he has a lopsided head and he does the vets can't find anything wrong with it and he isn't in any pain but they think it was caused by his older owner who bred and showed him all the time. He is a very happy pig with a massive heart, off to see Jack now. Does anyone own a pig with a lopsided head or no someone who does.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Keeping a cage under a shelter is not the same as keeping them indoors. Please tell us that you are keeping them indoors.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs with head-tilts can still live happy and normal lives.
And if you live in Australia, your pigs need to be housed inside, there have been many reports of guinea pigs with heat stroke this summer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.