Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Excellent deal on sea grass baskets

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
I went to a Bartells drug store and they have perfect size sea grass baskets for making guinea pig houses! I took the basket and cut out a section of the grass for the entry way and my guys love it. The sea grass is safe for them and the baskets are only $5 whereas grass baskets at pet stores around the same size were $30.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I went to a Bartells drug store and they have perfect size sea grass baskets for making guinea pig houses! I took the basket and cut out a section of the grass for the entry way and my guys love it. The sea grass is safe for them and the baskets are only $5 whereas grass baskets at pet stores around the same size were $30.

Hullo Nika...you've just answered an unasked question in my mind about using grass baskets for my girls! Here in NZ they can be found in the $2+ shops, so now I will get a couple. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not so sure about sea grass being safe for them. Many sea grasses are varieties of paspalum, and they're generally not recommended for eating. Additionally, the ones that grow right by the sea take up sea salt, and are very salty.

Is there a way you can find out what particular variety of sea grass these are made of?

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
I'm not so sure about sea grass being safe for them. Many sea grasses are varieties of paspalum, and they're generally not recommended for eating. Additionally, the ones that grow right by the sea take up sea salt, and are very salty.

Is there a way you can find out what particular variety of sea grass these are made of?

Oh this is good to know! I thought it would be fine because there are a lot of sea grass chew toys and sea grass twists available for guinea pigs to chew on, but this specific sea grass may not be good? Is all sea grass bad even though there are products for guinea pigs?

I can double check on what variety, the basket's tag was going on and on about how it was safe and hypo-allergenic and dust free.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's labeled as safe, it would probably be ok. I was envisioning a pile of baskets with no information on them except that they were made of sea grass.

I'm no botanist, so I don't know all the varieties of paspalum and which ones aren't recommended. I just know enough to be scared of it!

What exactly does the tag say?

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
I just ran to the Bartells and checked in fact haha. You know it's actually pretty generic, it says that the baskets are hand-made in Maine, that sea grass is a really strong yet gentle and safe resource that you can have in an allergy free house, and that it will not create any dust. I'm worried now, should I take them out? I checked the internet before I got them too and didn't read about this potential issue :( I emailed the company to find out for sure.

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
The company said the grass is Juncus Effuses which is not at all related to ​paspalum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.