PDA

View Full Version : Cage What solution can I clean my cage with?

Chelsea Thorne
02-15-13, 11:23 am
I'm going to be making a 2x4 c&c cage but at one end I will still have a store baught cage with bedding in it. So far I've been cleaning it with a vinegar and water solution. Is that safe and effective in cleaning the cage? I know I can use vinegar to grab calcium deposits from their pee but is it good to clean with that all the time? I know that a bleach and water solution are NOT good for the piggies. So again, is vinegar and water doing the job?

lissie
02-15-13, 11:29 am
Vinegar and water is fine to use. Most of us use it.
Diluted bleach is also fine to use.
Cleaning (http://www.guineapigcages.com/cleaning.htm)

Brandi0509
02-15-13, 11:29 am
Yes, vinegar/water mixture is what's recommended to clean the cages.

pawner69
02-15-13, 11:32 am
I used to use window cleaner until I learned on here that the fumes and chemicals could be harmful...now all I use is vinegar and water. I made a spray bottle full with half vinegar and half water so its very convenient. My cage never smells.

bibliocavy
02-15-13, 12:00 pm
Yep, vinegar and water. I believe it is half and half.

Chelsea Thorne
02-15-13, 12:14 pm
Okay, thanks guys. My Mom has a couple of guinea pigs of her own and she told me she read that somewhere, so just wanted to double check myself. :)

lissie
02-15-13, 12:22 pm
Yes, vinegar is half and half.
For bleach, use 10% bleach with 90% water, and rinse well.

PeeweesPiggyPalace
02-15-13, 12:29 pm
I use dawn dish soap and water.. I can't use vinegar due to being allergic to it.

bibliocavy
02-15-13, 12:43 pm
I wouldn't trust bleach at all, not if vinegar works just as well.

Chelsea Thorne
02-15-13, 02:19 pm
Yea, when the previous owner of one of my pigs told me she used bleach and water, I wondered if that was safe to use. I definitely like the vinegar solution though so I will continue to use that.

mama_
02-15-13, 03:11 pm
Question: I've grown up using vinegar, water, and a little bit of rubbing alcohol as a cleaning solution for around the house. Is this ok to use for the piggies as well? Or should I eliminate the rubbing alcohol? Again, it's a teeny tiny amount of it (all you smell is the vinegar, not the alcohol) so I'm not really worried about the fumes so much as just the actual chance of contact with remaining rubbing alcohol.

PeeweesPiggyPalace
02-15-13, 04:09 pm
Question: I've grown up using vinegar, water, and a little bit of rubbing alcohol as a cleaning solution for around the house. Is this ok to use for the piggies as well? Or should I eliminate the rubbing alcohol? Again, it's a teeny tiny amount of it (all you smell is the vinegar, not the alcohol) so I'm not really worried about the fumes so much as just the actual chance of contact with remaining rubbing alcohol.

I would not take the chance using rubbing alcohol..

soopermum62
02-15-13, 05:05 pm
Vinegar and water is fine. (altho I have been known to forget the water and just pour the vinegar on the coroplast and wipe it down until dry) I would not use the rubbing alcohol in the piggie cleaning mixture.