PDA

View Full Version : Conditions GI tract issues, soft stool and gas

momomiyamommy
02-14-13, 12:46 pm
Momo has always had bad stomach issues which include soft stool and gas. She has never had "watery" stool but they have been soft and painful (squeaking). Once, I took her to the vet and he recommended a stool sample, which of course, at the time she had perfect poos. He said she didn't have a uti or stone that could cause squeaking while pooping. He tested the stool and the lab report came back normal. He recommended I don't feed Momo a lot of leefy greens and going off greens for a day or two does seem to help. However, she still has bouts of soft stool. (I feed my other piggie the same amount of food and her poops are excellent.)

When she sits atop my womanly chest, I can hear her stomach gurgling accompanied with a "poping" noise. Sometimes I can smell gas, and it wasn't me, I swear. This morning it was very clear her stomach was bothering her the gurgling and poping was very loud, and she was sitting on me "vibrating", not "rumbling" or "burring" because there was no sound. This seems to happen the most after I feed her, which is why I try to feed her little bits at a time. Is this a normal occurance? What should I do?

pinky
02-14-13, 12:52 pm
What do you feed her and how much of each thing on a daily basis?

bpatters
02-14-13, 12:55 pm
No, it's not normal. All pigs have some gas occasionally, but not usually to the extent you describe.

Ditto pinky -- what's her diet like?

One of my pigs did that for a while, and course of flagyl cleared it up nicely.

momomiyamommy
02-14-13, 12:59 pm
What do you feed her and how much of each thing on a daily basis?
I don't measure exactly but I feed about

Every day: 7 stalks of cilantro, 1/8th of bell pepper (green), lettuce (1/2 cup-1 cup maybe)

Every other day: 1 inch slice of cucumber or 2 dandelion green leaves or carrot (3 inch slice) / 1/6th apple or 2 grapes or 2 blueberries

pinky
02-14-13, 01:10 pm
Cucumber can cause gas so I'd cut that out. They only need a cup of veggies a day so measure all the veggies to total a cup. Dandelion greens are high in calcium so limit those, too. I rarely ever feed fruit since it's high in sugar. My preferences are radicchio, green and red leaf lettuce, curly endive, cilantro, green peppers, an inch slice of carrot. Limited red or green romaine for variety.

pinky
02-14-13, 01:12 pm
How did your vet determine there was no stone or UTI? Unless you had an xray and they did a urine specimen, you can't be sure. As far as treating gas, you can give half the pediatric dose of baby simethicone and gently massage her stomach to break up the gas bubbles but the diet should be modified it that's what's causing the gas

couchon
02-14-13, 02:11 pm
I have some nearly-identical issues (squeaking while pooping, abnormal stools, and, most recently, dangerous water bloat). So far, with all the diagnostics, no one has been able to figure it out. I HIGHLY encourage you to do diagnostics first (x-rays, bloodwork, urine sample - I even did a CT scan), but even if you can't figure it out, watch her like a hawk. My girl was relatively OK for a year and then went into massive stasis (water bloat) where water was coming out of her mouth. They drained 40 cc's of fluid out of her and I had to syringe fluids under her skin. They didn't know if she was going to make it. Thank God, she did. She is a fighter. But we are still struggling with both a diagnosis and managing what's going on. But as I said, she is a fighter, and I won't give up on her.

I am not saying any of this to scare you. Just watch her very carefully. Never leave her alone for more than 24 hours, and if something seems off, don't hesitate to go to a vet. Also, set aside as much money as you can right now, before there is an emergency.

I am looking into IB (inflamatory bowel), because I am wondering if my girl may have that.

Good luck!

momomiyamommy
02-14-13, 03:52 pm
I am not saying any of this to scare you. Just watch her very carefully. Never leave her alone for more than 24 hours, and if something seems off, don't hesitate to go to a vet. Also, set aside as much money as you can right now, before there is an emergency.

I am looking into IB (inflamatory bowel), because I am wondering if my girl may have that.

Good luck!
Thanks for telling me and thank you pinky (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/pinky.html)!! What are the symptoms of IB? I want to be on the lookout for potential problems. I;m so glad your piggie is fine C: Momo has a bloated looking tummy so I'm worried, the vet said she was just overweight but I'm not quite sure.

@pinky (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/pinky.html) I forgot to say he did do a urine sample and it was normal. She has never had white spots in her urine either.

pinky
02-14-13, 04:01 pm
Thanks for telling me and thank you pinky (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/pinky.html)!! What are the symptoms of IB? I want to be on the lookout for potential problems. I;m so glad your piggie is fine C: Momo has a bloated looking tummy so I'm worried, the vet said she was just overweight but I'm not quite sure.

@pinky (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/pinky.html) I forgot to say he did do a urine sample and it was normal. She has never had white spots in her urine either.

When a guinea pig is bloated their belly puffs up like a balloon. If you gently thump their stomach, it'll sound hollow. If you hear gas bubbles popping, that's a pretty good indication of bloat, too.