Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Kid(?) on the Block

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
Hi! New member here! I have a 6 month old pregnant Peruvian female named Truffles. I got her from a friend, at first I didn't know that she was pregnant until a week or 2 later when I noticed that her tummy's getting bigger each day. So I asked my friend if the pig had been housed with a male, and he admitted that the pig that I bought from him was then intended to be bred. She's been with me for a month now and she's growing rapidly. She loooooves carrots, green peppers, tomatoes and hay. I'm still trying to get her to like parsley 'cause I've read that they're good for them. No luck still but I'll keep on trying. I love hearing her squeak when she hears the rustling of grass when I enter the room. I give her vitamin C everyday. She looks happy being an only child but in a week or 2, I'll be getting another female to keep her company.

P.S. Please don't judge about the pregnancy. I know how dangerous they are for the pigs.

Meet Truffles :)

Attachments

310120134006.jpg

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
She is adorable. And no judgement here :) But you should know I read that if they do not bread before 6 months of age, their hip bones can fuse together thus severely injuring them when they give birth. I hope everything goes well and you might want to take her to see a vet before the babies arrive. Maybe a vet can help give you tips on how to make it easier on her.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@allison Remly..their bones do not fuse together at 6 months. At around 9 months they become stiff (?) therefore making it a heck of a lot harder during the birth.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
ah. then what I read was wrong. But I still suggest a vet :) Just a good idea to at least know where one is in case of emergency

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! She is adorable!

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
She is adorable. And no judgement here :) But you should know I read that if they do not bread before 6 months of age, their hip bones can fuse together thus severely injuring them when they give birth. I hope everything goes well and you might want to take her to see a vet before the babies arrive. Maybe a vet can help give you tips on how to make it easier on her.

Thank you :) I've read that they do not fuse but the ligaments in their pelvic bones become less elastic thus making it harder for the baby to pass. I really hope that too for this is my first time handling a preggy piggy. I'm currently on search for vets near my place but I can't still find one so I've been reading around piggy pregnancies from all over the net to help me get ready. I hope this forum will help me. :D

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
yes, but there's still no accurate study as to what age their pelvics fuse. I'm just hoping for the best for my baby.

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
It is really hard to find a good piggy vet since they are considered an "exotic pet" at least where I am from anyway. There was only 1 vet anywhere near where I used to live that would treat Guinea Pigs at all. Luckily there are like 2 vets where we live now, so at least I have a choice.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
She is just beautiful. She looks like my "Razzle". Love her eyes.

SleepyUsagi

Cavy Slave
Awwww she's so beautiful! I have a peruvian as well, they are so cute! And truffles is a perfect name. She looks like a golden agouti, mine's a silver agouti.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds like your at least a bit more prepared than your friend and have done your research, so well done!
Truffles is a beautiful name, for an equally beautiful guinea pig :D

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What a beautiful little truffle!! Just want to eat her up.. or I mean.. if I liked chocolate more. Maybe just pignap!

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
It is really hard to find a good piggy vet since they are considered an "exotic pet" at least where I am from anyway. There was only 1 vet anywhere near where I used to live that would treat Guinea Pigs at all. Luckily there are like 2 vets where we live now, so at least I have a choice.

same here in the Philippines. They're either categorized under rodents or exotics. They're very underrated here. I know a vet whose specialty is on exotics, but unfortunately he's away for a convention so I guess I'll have to wait or search for another one. I'm also a vet student so I'm hoping to learn more about guinea pigs from more experienced vets.

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
@Razzle haha thank you! Her hair's a lot longer now. How old is Razzle?

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
Awwww she's so beautiful! I have a peruvian as well, they are so cute! And truffles is a perfect name. She looks like a golden agouti, mine's a silver agouti.

yes they are! hahaha i just love cuddling her! Thank you and yes, she's a golden agouti. What's your pig's name?

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds like your at least a bit more prepared than your friend and have done your research, so well done!
Truffles is a beautiful name, for an equally beautiful guinea pig :D

Thank you! :D I'm really hoping that this pregnancy will not be difficult for her.

iamyoung13

Cavy Slave
What a beautiful little truffle!! Just want to eat her up.. or I mean.. if I liked chocolate more. Maybe just pignap!

haha! she can live up to her name 'cause she can be in a bittersweet mood sometimes.

SleepyUsagi

Cavy Slave
Dust Bunny. It suits him very well, he looks all dusty being gray w/ white tips.

SingMeAHarmony

Cavy Slave
Beautiful piggy you've got there:) We try not to judge, only help if forcefully sometimes:) Haha, don't take it to heart. We're all just trying to help. Hoping to help with the pregnancy && it sounds to me like your piggy is living in a great environment!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.